Could it be the DIS again!

LikeNew92

One year ago I had some engine problems where I got a check engine light, an engine running like crap, and codes pointing to the DIS. I changed the DIS and my problems where solved.

Now I am having similiar problems and getting codes:

215 PCM detected coil 1 primary circuit failure(EI)

217 PCM detected coil 3 primary circuit failure(EI)

I think that I got code 217 last time also

COULD THIS BE THE DIS($300) AGAIN?

What is the best place to buy the DIS on the web?

thanks

Alex

Did you use heatsink compound when you replaced the DIS?
Check the coil primary resistance (8-9 ohms) and secondary resistance (13-14 Kohms).

It's your coil pack, I had the exact same problem with my 91. Same codes and all. Coil pack was around 80 bucks at Advanced Auto Parts.

which coil?

Which coil should I order?

I would like to get the Niehoff because of the price. However, the description does not mention "super charged".

See attachment from Advanced Auto Parts

Any suggestions?

thanks

Alex

Attachments

• coilweb.gif
    coilweb.gif
    21.7 KB · Views: 77
You need Niehoff Ignition FF179D, Borg Warner E98, or GP Sorensen GC428.
I would first check the primary and secondary coil resistances using an inexpensive multimeter. The multimeter won't check the coil under load, but at least it's better than throwing parts at the problem.

tested the coil

I tested the coil and had the following results

I checked the primary and got .9 ohm

I checked the secondard and got 13 ohm on all of the pairs.

I beleive that these are normal results?

Do you think that it could be the heat sink compound? I used the little pack of heat sink compound when I replace my DIS a year ago. I don't think that the compound would just disapear or come loose?

I think that I am going to order the DIS($180) and coil pack ($80) because the SC is my daily driver, and I can only bum rides to work for so long.

Any final advice?

thanks guys

Alex

You should get 8-9 ohms (and not .9 ohm) from each of the three primary coils. If you're getting 0.9 ohm, then don't install a new DIS with the old coil pack or you may fry the DIS.

It was the DIS again

well it turned out to be the DIS again. What a POS!

The SC is back on the road again.

thanks for all the help guys,

Alex

Coil packs rarely fail and your readings are within range. As for the heat sink grease, if its not white, but rather says dielectric grease, go to radio shack or any electronics hobby store and buy a small tube of actual heat sink grease. Clean the old stuff off and spread a paper thin layer on the bottom of the DIS. :)

Back