Exhaust Questions

VanSwssAlmd

Hi everyone! I have a question about my exhaust on my 89 SC. Right now it has no pipes coming out the back at all, but my question is: Why does it sound kinda like a tractor? Know what I mean? When I'm in the car it has a nice deep tone but outside it sounds awful. It has been suggested to me that the catalytic converter has been rodded out, but I don't know. Also has been suggested that the timing may be off a tad. Any ideas? Any suggestions for some kick a$$ exhaust?

Thanks all!

Sara
Kansas

Attachments

• 89 super coupe.jpg
    89 super coupe.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 362
might be giving off weird noises cuz some of the components might be rotted out or your mufflers might be completely removed. there is this one guy on here (beerbarron) who has an lx with the whole system removed from the resonator back and it sounds loud, but not like a tractor.

al

Exhaust

Well, I wouldn't say it is overly loud, it sorta sounds like its chugging in the exhaust. The car seems to run okay, but I wonder sometimes if it should have more power. I imagine if the timing is off that would have alot to do with the power, but what would the exhaust sound like? I think the muffler(s) are still there it just is missing the Y out.

Thanks,

Sara
Kansas

if you dont have a resonator on there it will sound 'odd'..
maye you have an exhaust leak somewhere before the end of your pipes, whereever they end. that will make a different sound too.. just throwing out ideas here...

exhaust

None is good. But you are right it does sound odd.

A resinator is a good thing, cats are not. I am living with Flowmaster 40, a bit loud. To do it over I would do a delta 50 Flowmaster. As far as the resinator, I don't know if the flow sounds any different than the more popular dyna that I have. In my case I did it piece by piece. It seems to be a better fit than anything else for an SC-imho.

If the components that are still on the car are original, chances are the cats are rotted, and clogged, same is probably true for the resonator, and not having tailpipes, or mufflers is another story. I'm not at all surprised it sounds like a tractor. I just completely replaced my exhaust system from the manifolds back on my 90SC. I went with SCP down tubes, high flow cats (IMO they are necessary if you want the car to sound descent, and pass emissions testing) to a magnaflow resonator, back to a pair of Borla mufflers.....it sounds great...with no drone. I'm not sure what to tell you, but if I were you, I'd get under the car, and see exactly what needs to be replaced. If it's rusty with holes in it, it's no good. It just depends on what the car means to you, and what you can spend. Most SC enthusiasts would see this as an opertunity to replace the exhaust system with a good high flow system, since the stock exhaust system on SC is a POS, and does not allow the motor to "breathe" properly. Good luck...hope it turns out well.
-Jeff

Exhaust

Thanks guys for all your help. I think I'll check it out today and see exactly what is left of the exhaust and go from there!

Sara
Kansas

If you have a digital cam, take some pics of what's left and post them. We'll have a much better idea of what you're working with. Here's a pic from SCP of the stock system vs the SCP system (which is basically what I have, I just went with a different muffler)
Here's the stock system (what it should look like):
13.jpg

Now Here's the SCP system.....as you can see the pipe is bigger, the components are much better quality, and flow much, much better than the stock

14.jpg

2.jpg

Keep in mind that the SCP system pictured here is a "cat back" system (just means it includes the exhaust system from the catalytic converters back, so it does not include the cats, which you may need.)
You could also consider having an exhaust shop "build" you a system, which is another option.
-Jeff

exhaust

I'll try to get some pics of my current exhaust on here as soon as I can.

How can I put the pictures on? Last time when I tried to post another picture of my car it says I already have a picture posted and it gives me a link to refer to it. Do I need to post it in a different manner?

Thanks,

Sara
Kansas

Just save it in JPEG format, put a ".jpg" on the end of it, then you can click on the "attach file" option here. As long as the pics arent too big, and they're in the correct format you should be ok.
-Jeff

My photo is already saved as a jpeg. The message that pops up is please refrain from posting duplicate pictures. Are you using your photo like a signature? How do you do that? Also how do you get a photo or change the sentence that is after your name on the left? Mine says sc newbie..But i'm not really...I was registered before the site changed.

Thanks,

Sara
Kansas

The photo you see of my SC is in my signature, but I use an FTP program to "upload" my images to the web, then I put the web address (or URL) of my image in the box that says "custom signature," along with the proper HTML tags for what I want it to do. If you already have the pic you want to use on the web, you can put the URL it in the box and use HTML tags, (I tried to illustrate the tags here, but the system converts them) I use a Mac, so I don't really know the process for uploading images to the web using a Windows machine. You can email me if you need more help. I have also never used the "attach file" option, so maybe you can only upload one pic to the server. Ron (the SCCoA webmaster) would know more about that if you want to put up a post in the "website" forum.
As far as the "title" goes, all forum members (except moderators, and administrators) are considered "newbies" until you reach a certain number of posts. It doesn't matter how long you've been on the board before, since they could not "carry over" the previous post counts from the old board.
-Jeff

PS- Click HERE for more info on codes, and tags for posting images, and formatting text.

Back