Heartland Pulley (P/S Pulley - Hub)

StvsBrd

SCCoA Lifetime Member
I was just wondering if anyone actually has taken off one of these pulleys. I have confirmation from XR7 Dave that it may be an impossibility. After actually trying the directions from Heartland, I believe Dave is correct. So before I start drilling holes in the bracket, I just wanted to see if anyone has successfully removed one and also been able to put it back on later.

Thanks,

Elizabeth :confused:

Last edited:
Are you talking about the OEM power steering pump pulley on a supercoupe? Or something else ? Never mind. Its obviously not an OEM pulley.

Last edited:
Elizabeth,

Are you thinking the two parts have welded themselves together? I take it that's what you are talking about.

If not, here's my comments on getting the Heartland pulley off. Take a 10mm bolt (I think it's 10mm and someone can correct me if I'm mistaken) and screw that into the shaft of the power steering pump. The Heartland pulley has a hole in the center for doing just that. Screw the bolt in tight, use a socket to hold the bolt and to keep the shaft from turning and use a socket extension to tap the pulley free. The pulley should spin towards the passenger's side of the car (counter clockwise) if you are standing in front of the car.

If I remember correctly, Steve put a bolt into the power steering shaft to hold the pulley on. I believe he had to do that because the hub bore diameter was incorrectly machined (the hub bore diameter was too large). Heartland will replace the hub for free if you tell them because I think some of the first one's were not machined correctly.

You remember me, don't you? I was the one who told you about the Heartland power steering pulley, Heartland tensioner pulleys and we talked about Lakers basketball at WFC and the Shootout.

Nettlesd said:
Elizabeth,

If I remember correctly, Steve put a bolt into the power steering shaft to hold the pulley on. I believe he had to do that because the hub bore diameter was incorrectly machined (the hub bore diameter was too large). Heartland will replace the hub for free if you tell them because I think some of the first one's were not machined correctly.

You remember me, don't you? I was the one who told you about the Heartland power steering pulley, Heartland tensioner pulleys and we talked about Lakers basketball at WFC and the Shootout.

Yes Duane I remember you. In fact I was looking for your email address and thought I might get lucky and you would respond. Actually Steve created his own allen wrench for the hub center. I tried to use that but was actually trying to act like the "hulk" and turn it with my hands (ha! ha!). So I'll will try your suggestion. I just didn't want to damage the pulley. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thanks, Elizabeth

After you get an allen wrench or bolt in the power steering shaft
end .To lock the turning of shaft.

I would use a wood hammer handle or rubber handle hammer.
And strike the pulley with the wood handle or piece of wood.

This may help in not scratching up the pulley when you try to
unscrew the aluminum pulley from the center hub that was
pressed on the power steering pump shaft.

RANDY

Will that P/S pulley+hub work properly and without "mods" now. I mean the problems were only in those early models...right!? :confused:

Outcome after Spinach Meal

Okay,

So the "hammering" aspect did not work. Just to make sure I am trying to dislodge this pulley counterclockwise while holding the hub stationery with Steve's homemade allen-wrench.

Again no success. I am in email contact with Mike at heartland but he is perplexed also. I will try to attach a picture so maybe someone can confirm that Steve actually has "the" hub behind this pulley. That may also be an issue (or not). Duane, if you can recall your conversation with Steve about this pulley and his adventures, you might be able to confirm if he put the hub on.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Attachments

• PS Pulley Ctr - 3-27-05.jpg
    PS Pulley Ctr - 3-27-05.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Mines still sitting in the box

and I havent seen anyone say " hey that went great" so I'll wait before using mine.

StvsBrd said:
Duane, if you can recall your conversation with Steve about this pulley and his adventures, you might be able to confirm if he put the hub on.

Elizabeth,

The pulley that Steve had used to drink like a MOFO. I wouldn't be surprised if the pulley was on a drinking binge before cross threading itself onto the hub. They are known to do that after they have been out all night drinking. I once caught my pulley trying to sneak out the garage before I wrestled it to the ground and put him back in the box and taped it shut real tight.

Ok, ok, back to the problem. Steve does have the hub on the shaft. That is the only way the pulley works. It's a 2-piece unit so you have to press the hub onto the shaft and then spin the pulley on. I suspect that Steve didn't use any anti-seize on the hub before spinning the pulley on. Since the pulley spins on clockwise, it will always try to tighten itself when the motor is running. I suspect it's on their so tight, you will need quite a bit of persuasion to get it off. I still believe it will come off but, I think you might have to use a bolt threaded into the pump's shaft to hold the shaft with a hefty knock on the pulley to break it loose.

Pulley removal

I have looked at two things for the future pulleys. One is locations for a spanner wrench, the other is anti-seize lube.

Anti-seize lube is readily available and quite possibly solve this issue. The thing is I have never had this come up so I have not looked into it as of yet, only thought about it as an issue to consider. This does not mean it has not been a problem, I just have no history with it as a problem. My opinion is a spanner wrench would certainly help if there is clearance which I will now check for.

I would appreciate some input on this if there has been anyone else with the same experience in a hard to remove pulley.

I would expect them to be stubborn to remove simply because they tend to tighten as they are used but not impossible.

Mike

products said:
I have looked at two things for the future pulleys. One is locations for a spanner wrench, the other is anti-seize lube.

Anti-seize lube is readily available and quite possibly solve this issue. The thing is I have never had this come up so I have not looked into it as of yet, only thought about it as an issue to consider. This does not mean it has not been a problem, I just have no history with it as a problem. My opinion is a spanner wrench would certainly help if there is clearance which I will now check for.

I would appreciate some input on this if there has been anyone else with the same experience in a hard to remove pulley.

I would expect them to be stubborn to remove simply because they tend to tighten as they are used but not impossible.

Mike

I suspect not many people have tried to remove the pulley. As far as I know Gary Kuhn's pulley didn't come off and so he sold the whole bracket together as one with the pump on it still.

Using a pin face spanner wrench is a good idea. All it requires is two holes be drilled into the face. In fact it could be done after the fact if you are careful.

Look for an anti-seize that's high in zinc content. Zinc works best between steel and aluminum surfaces.

Get a properly sized (sorry, don't know the exact sized) bolt in the hole on the power steering pump. Then put a wrench in there and turn the pulley the opposite direction until the wrench is wedged up on the chassis (or use a block of wood in there as well if your wrench isn't that long) . Preload that somehow, maybe with a rubber tie down. Then use a brass drift and a 3lb sledge or lead hammer and strike the gaps in the pulley trying to drive it off the center hub.

Before you do that you might take a hand held torch and heat the area around the center of the pulley for a while. Aluminum expands at a faster rate due to heat than does steel, so you'll gain room in the threads.

Tap the drift after applying heat (if you have someon that can help and heat the area as you tap) and hopefully it'll break free.

What are you tring to do after you remove the pulley.?
If your not working on or replacing the power steering pump.

You can unbolt the hole bracket that holds the power steering
pump,& alt.If your tring to make room for another job.

If you are removeing the pulley ,to get to the three bolts
behide the pulley. That hold the power steering pump to
the acc. bracket.And a brace also bolts from the acc.bracket
to the water pump flange.I had to cut off with a cutting torch.
The brace that bolt to the acc bracket and to the water pump.

You do not need the brace that go's from the power steering
acc bracket to the water pump.Throw it away after you get it off.

Tell us what your wanting to do after you remove the pulley.
There may be another route to take to complete your project.

Randy

Success!!!!

The pulley is off. If you slightly heat the front of the pulley/hub connection it actually just rolls right off provided you don't help it with your bare fingers. I am only down the index finger for a day. I noticed someone suggested heating it after I had done it and they were correct.

Thanks for all the brainstorming but we do know now that the pulley does come off of the hub.

Thanks again gang.....

Elizabeth

Back