Leaking valve cover gasket...fire hazard?

JAFO

What I thought was a slipping belt smell is, I believe, leaking valve cover gaskets. I cleaned the engine and the smell went away for a couple of weeks. Today I smelled it again. Got a good look and I see/smell a little smoke coming from the rear of the engine, below the valve covers. Seems that some oil is dripping to the exhaust manifolds (both sides). Is this a fire hazard? The car isn't losing noticeable amounts of oil, I'd like to be able to put this off for a month or 2 if possible. One side was done 2 years ago, I'm surprised it's at it again.

Motor mounts are ok, so I'm assuming the engine isn't resting on anything that it's contacting.

JAFO said:
What I thought was a slipping belt smell is, I believe, leaking valve cover gaskets. I cleaned the engine and the smell went away for a couple of weeks. Today I smelled it again. Got a good look and I see/smell a little smoke coming from the rear of the engine, below the valve covers. Seems that some oil is dripping to the exhaust manifolds (both sides). Is this a fire hazard? The car isn't losing noticeable amounts of oil, I'd like to be able to put this off for a month or 2 if possible. One side was done 2 years ago, I'm surprised it's at it again.

Motor mounts are ok, so I'm assuming the engine isn't resting on anything that it's contacting.

i woudln't think it wuold cause a fire. mine did that on a start up during the witner as it sat. i guess its been leaking all along but burnt off as i drove, it only took a long week or tw0 sit to gather until i started it up for me to really smell and see it burning off. try tightening them, thats what i did and it stopped, then again i think my gaskets might need replacing as well.

I wouldn't worry to much about it catching fire. Now if oil was puring all over your manifolds then yes I would worry then.

Shane

Last edited:
What Ive noticed alot of these cars is that the valve cover gaskets never actually go, the bolts hold them on always seem to get loose. Just tighten up the bolts on the valve covers and the leaks should stop.

I'll give that a shot. It could even just be on the drivers side, there isn't much smoke on the pass side, it could have just been blowing over there underneath or from behind the motor. It's barely noticeable smoke at all, mostly just with a flashlight shining on it, otherwise I can't even see the smoke. It's been dripping a drop a day or so for about 9 months, I'm probably just now noticing it. If only I were Plastic Man! I guess I still need to remove the blower and IC tubing to get to it well.

Back