coolant gauge

techexpert12000

The gauge worked fine then dont know what happened, but now it only goes like a sliver of the meter even when warmed up. I changed the sending unit. Do i need to change the gauge, If I short the wire to grnd it goes up to the top. ???
thanks for any input.

hmm, good idea seeing as mine is doing the exact same thing, i beleive mine is the gauge becuas ever since i changed the faces it started that. it sounds more like yours is the sending unit.

ps which wire did u ground, i would like to test my gauge?

chris

If you grounded the sensor wire and the gauge shows max the guage is probably good. the right way is to hook up a resistor between the sensor wire and ground and check the gauge.

I don't have the specs on the sensor, but ask and some one should be able to give you a value for the resistance at a certain temp. Put that value (or as close to it as you can get) in and the gauge should read the corresponding temp.

I think that there are two temp sensors, one for the EEC and one for the gauge. Make sure you replaced the gauge sending unit.

Aaron

Found the specs in this thread:
temp sensor specs

Use a 2k resistor (<$1 for a pack of 5 at Radio Shack) and you should get a reading of just over 212, I think this should be about "R" on the gauge.

Last edited:
Back