AOD to 5 Speed Conversion

darkstar_one

Hey,

Went to the junkyard and found a XR7 that was 5 speed. Seems the loser that owned it put a NA BALANCER and im guessing killed it or something. But anywho. I took out the transmission and flywheel. and i have the clutch pedal. The only thing i am missing is the driveshaft. Someone took the driveshaft. But anywho. Here is the problem the clutch master cylinder was badly damaged. I cut the hose off of it. I dont really wanna have problems with this transmission so ima try to replace what i can since the transmission is in my garage now. I know im gonna need a Clutch Master Cylinder. Should i replace the Slave cylinder also? What should i replace? I know ima have to replace the clutch, resurface the flywheel maybe new pressure plate? But anywho. First i need to be done with my engine before i can continue. For now ima install the pedal since i have lots of room to work in. let me know of the parts i should replace before installing the manual transmission thanks.

Definitely replace the slave and master cylinders. A new bearing comes with the slave. I think I got both of mine at Advance when I replaced them. Check all of the o'rings. Do you have a complete hydraulic line? I've got a new one if yours got cut or broken.

yeah i cut mine off... i had too... well i didnt have to... junk yard was closing... so we needed to leave so i just cut it... let me get your hydraulic line.

off the top of my head, what you need is:

flywheel (resurface)
clutch (get a new one)
pedal (you have)
master cyl (should be fine)
slave cyl (get a new one, they're cheap)
throw-out bearing (if you get a good clutch it should be included)
you'll need a pilot bearing
ought to change the rear main seal
drive shaft (I have one if you're interested, cheapcheapcheap)
you should replace the hose that goes from the slave to the master cyl
the dust shield is different on manual and five speed, I think the starter is as well, but parts houses don't usually ask
I'm sure you know about the interior pieces, as well as removing the cable that stops you from removing the key while its in gear
you need the wiring harness that enables it all to work, reverse lights and whatnot
I'm not sure but on an earlier model, you don't have to change the computer, but I think it does help....
let me know if you have more questions

Back