Rear swaybar, Safe to remove?

Jeremy_K

Well, what i thought would happen did. i put lowering springs on my car with the stock swaybar end links and i snapped one of the endlinks. so last night i took out the swaybar completely from the rearend. i didn't notice any difference in handling even after horsing it around curves and corners. is it safe to leave it off? if i do need to get a shorter endlink for the front where can i get some? also, can i remove the front swaybar without any catastrophies? i've read that it could be dangerous. i'm all about getting rid of stuff i don't need. i just don't wanna be unsafe.

Last edited:
NMxr7SC said:
Well, what i thought would happen did. i put lowering springs on my car with the stock swaybar end links and i snapped one of the endlinks. so last night i took out the swaybar completely from the rearend. i didn't notice any difference in handling even after horsing it around curves and corners. is it safe to leave it off? if i do need to get a shorter endlink for the front where can i get some? also, can i remove the front swaybar without any catastrophies? i've read that it could be dangerous. i'm all about getting rid of stuff i don't need. i just don't wanna be unsafe.

Safety is relative. Is your car going to blow up or implode? No. Is it going to handle like a 68 Chevelle? Yes. I found that removing both sway bars ended up with a little too much of a "boat" effect for me.

XR7 Dave said:
Safety is relative. Is your car going to blow up or implode? No. Is it going to handle like a 68 Chevelle? Yes. I found that removing both sway bars ended up with a little too much of a "boat" effect for me.
I think i'll leave the front then. Do they make shorter end links for the front? it doesn't seem too much lower in the front than it was. maybe the same thing will happen "SNAP"? I don't know much about suspension. I think the front is still capable of coming down a bit. I have no idea where to get shorter end links for the front. Someone said SCperformance.com but I didn't see any listed.

The fronts should not bind as they have hiem joints on both ends. I've not heard of anyone having problems with the front. The rear should not have broken either, most likely it was weakened from something else. Just because the rear is lowered doesn't cause the links to break.

I Heard Once That If The Stock Sway Bar End Links Were Retained, The Front Would Not Drop All The Way With The Stock End Links

acb92sc said:
I Heard Once That If The Stock Sway Bar End Links Were Retained, The Front Would Not Drop All The Way With The Stock End Links

You heard wrong. There aren't any shorter endlinks except for the Moog endlinks. The swaybar shouldn't affect ride height at all. Unless something was done that made it bind up....like tightening endlinks while the suspension was unloaded.

Back