Installing my U/D pulleys

mcate

I bought the March aluminum U/D pulley set back at Xmas, & I'm putting them & my new double IC in today. I don't have the mounting studs for the IC yet, but just eyeballing it with it all sitting in place, I don't see any way that the upper IC flange is going to clear the alternator pulley. Looks like I can grind the flange down some & it "should" work. I remember seeing some threads on this a while back, but I couldn't find them just now. Anyone else have this problem?

TIA,
Mike

Had the same thing happen to me when I did the double IC and the ASP pulley set. I'm sure the pulleys even though different vendors are very close in comparision.

My father and I just kept grinding a little at a time off the flange until a piece of folded paper could fit between...just like the belts trick when you put on the crank and water pump pulley...If I remember right that is what it says is good on the install instructions.

Just keep working it...I have no pictures to show what I did...but perhaps the signature picture can show how close it was. Made it sort of a pain in the *** down the road when needing to remove the main serp belt, but so be it.

Your on the right path.

-Tim

**Found some pictures...not much detail but shows how close I was.

10.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:
I just installed a set of those pulleys on a 90 SC that I am working on. It did not require any modifications whatsoever. There is about 3/16" clearance on the alternator pulley. I even used a used ACC belt and it has a good 1/4" clearance on the WP pulley. I did not use a shorter belt.

XR7 Dave said:
I just installed a set of those pulleys on a 90 SC that I am working on. It did not require any modifications whatsoever. There is about 3/16" clearance on the alternator pulley. I even used a used ACC belt and it has a good 1/4" clearance on the WP pulley. I did not use a shorter belt.

This is with the Double IC?

-Tim

When I bought the pulleys, Bill at SCP told me that since my car is a 95 I'd need the polished set. (I was planning on that set anyhow for looks) He said there's an alternator clearance issue on the later SC's that requires the aluminum set. It might all fit once I get the lower IC studs & get it mounted in the exact correct spot. Sure doesn't look like it though. Definitely looks like I'll have to do some grinding.

Tim Groth said:
This is with the Double IC?

-Tim
Double IC doesn't change anything. If you have a raised top it might change things a little, not sure though as this car had a stock top on it.

The reason for recommending the March set for the 94 has nothing to do with the IC, it has to do with the spacer required for behind the pulley so it doesn't hit the alternator case. The March has two different spacers, the ASP set has only one backspacing.

XR7 Dave said:
Double IC doesn't change anything. If you have a raised top it might change things a little, not sure though as this car had a stock top on it.

The reason for recommending the March set for the 94 has nothing to do with the IC, it has to do with the spacer required for behind the pulley so it doesn't hit the alternator case. The March has two different spacers, the ASP set has only one backspacing.

Yep, noticed the spacers. I used the larger of the two. Working on these cars is such a PITA. It doesn't seem like anything is ever easy! Cramming the alternator back in was a bite. I had to file down the mount a little, probably due to the chrome plating making the alternator a little thicker.

mcate said:
Yep, noticed the spacers. I used the larger of the two. Working on these cars is such a PITA. It doesn't seem like anything is ever easy! Cramming the alternator back in was a bite. I had to file down the mount a little, probably due to the chrome plating making the alternator a little thicker.
Where did you get a chrome alternator and how much did it cost? What output is it?

I had to do a little grinding on the upper IC tube flange to provide clearance for the alternator pulley when I installed a set of ASP underdrives. Now that I have the MP FMIC, there is plenty of room.

David

XR7 Dave said:
Where did you get a chrome alternator and how much did it cost? What output is it?

I sent my original alternator down to a place called Mr Alternator in Spartanburg, SC. (http://www.mralternator.com) Found them on the web. They rebuilt it for $85, & chromed it for another $100. I had them keep the stock amperage stator in it, but they do offer a higher amp stator for another $50. They said that the higher amp stator doesn't work very well at low RPM's, & since I'm underdriving mine they didn't recommend the upgrade. Potential for problems at idle.
Good guys to deal with.

David Neibert said:
I had to do a little grinding on the upper IC tube flange to provide clearance for the alternator pulley when I installed a set of ASP underdrives. Now that I have the MP FMIC, there is plenty of room.

David

Thanx for all the help guys. Guess I'll start grinding it down this afternoon!

Back