89 XR7 Trans Probs.

Quick Cat 89

:confused: i was driving my xr7 one day totally normal...not even racing! and i was shifting from 3rd to 4th and the tranny popped...i didn't think much of it because it still shifted fine and everything...i did notice a slight vibration though. it was only a couple of miles to my house so i drove it...when i pulled in and let out on the clutch there was a constant popping noise and when i pushed the clutch back in it stopped completely...it still drives fine though..??? i was thinking maybe an input shaft bearing or bearing of some sort but im not sure..im not driving it for the fear of actually messing something important up..any ideas??? :confused:

Sounds like.....

Possibly a pressure plate springs or throw out bearing.

How was it driving home???? Same noise. Clutches are not very good at receiving heavy blows all the time. If you are "dropping the clutch" to spin the wheels, eventually the clutch will let go.

I would suggest getting the car on a lift and opening the inspection cover (left side) of trans bell housing and seeing if anything looks bad.

Otherwise, take to trans shop and see what they think.

Don

89 XR7 trans probs

It drove fine home just making the noise...its not really driven that hard though but it could very possibly be the clutch or pressure plate...that does make alot of sense. Thanks alot!!! ill definately check that...:cool:

Back