Code 181 and poor performance.

J

Joisey Jim

I recently had the 'check engine light' flash when I shifted from 1st to 2nd gear. This continued for about a week, so I scanned the EEC to find code 181 in memory. My book shows that as "cylinder bank 1 running lean" (not sure which is bank 1 & 2). I wasn't getting any detonation, but top end performance seemed sluggish. This week-end I pulled all the plugs (been in for about 40,000m) and definitely the right hand (passenger side) plugs had some white ash deposits on them (not a bluish glaze that you'd expect from being lean). I would normally associate that with maybe the valve seals leaking some oil and the motor does have 207,000m on it. Anyways I also pulled the 02 sensor from the passenger side and found that was unexpectedly also coated with a white deposit. I thought maybe that could be coolant and the dreaded HG's but I checked the coolant for signs of oil & vice versa, plus I looked for bubbles in the coolant - nothing. Could it simply be dirty injectors?, I cleaned the throttle body, MAF wires, air filter and changed the plugs; plus I put a spare 02 sensor (used) back in the passenger side downpipe. I haven't seen the 'check engine' light back for a day now, but she is still sluggish, like it wants to miss fire but just boggs down a bit. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cylinder balance test

Have you tried to do a cylinder balance test?
That may point you in the right direction if you have a weak cylinder(s).
I would also recommend doing a compression test on the bank with the ash covered plugs. You may have burned through the fire ring on the head gaskets between cylinders.
Good luck.
Bill

Back