Suspect Balancer

J

Joisey Jim

I just posted about my code 181, but when thoroughly checked out the engine I noticed the balancer was not rotating true. It wasn't wobbling, but definitely you could see the belt travel about an 1/8" back & for across the tensioner pulley. The motor is also vibrating more than I remember at idle. Once you goose it of course you can't see or feel the vibration. So I checked the main bolt & the 4 pulley bolts - everything was tight. This is a replacement stock type balancer that I installed a couple of years ago when the main bolt failed (and that was my fault in not replacing the main bolt after installing a new front oil seal) and, of course the BHJ unit wasn't available then. However, about a year ago the outer pulleys on this new balancer also came loose breaking 1 of the 4 small pulley bolts. I replaced them and it's been ok since, but I'm wondering if the rubber bonding is beginning to fail, because the rest of the bolts are tight or could there be another problem. I'm pretty sure when I replaced those pulley bolts (the one broke off in the balancer itself, but unscrewed without an extractor) that the pulley assembly could only go on one way as the bolts holes were slightly offset. Any suggetions would be appreciated.

Back