motor acts like it is going to die or blow up while driving...

bigcletus94

:mad: This has been an ongoing problem for years. I will be driving at any speed and it acts like it is not getting fuel only for a split second. Everything just about shuts down and all power is lost. The tach needle jerks to zero then back to the normal rpm.

I thought it was the cam senosr as everytime it acts like this I replace the cam sensor and it solves the problem for several months. I have replaced the cam sensor over four times now. The last time I replaced it, it still had the problem. It seemed to have fixed itself though and hasn't had a problem until a couple of days ago when it started up again

Immiediately after changing the oil on Friday, the problem came back. Could this be a fuel pump issue? Just about everything on this POS has been replaced once or twice with the exception of the fuel pump and fuel injectors. I just want this motor to make it until summer time!!! Any advice is appreciated.

Bad engine ground

You may have a bad engine ground.
When the engine moves during accelleration it may momentarily loose a good connection to the battery and chassis. It's a simple test. Just connect a ground strap between the engine and battery, and the engine to chassis.
Another area to check is the electrical connection to the fuel tank.
You mentioned that when you replace the cam sensor the problem goes away. It may also be the wiring harness going to the cam sensor that could be damaged. It doesn't take much for a belt or the wire vibrating against a bracket to cause a short.
I'm going through a real PITA of trying to find out why my SC is hard to start when warm. I know it can be tough at times. My advice is to do a process of elimination.
It's times like this that make me miss my 77 Mustang that had one vacuum line and a cheap old brain box.
Good luck.
Bill

blue94sc said:
You may have a bad engine ground.
When the engine moves during accelleration it may momentarily loose a good connection to the battery and chassis. It's a simple test. Just connect a ground strap between the engine and battery, and the engine to chassis.
This problem happens at any speed randomly, even cruising when there is little to no engine movement.
blue94sc said:
I'm going through a real PITA of trying to find out why my SC is hard to start when warm.
I also have this same exact problem. It has done this ever since I have owned the car, and with both motors. If you find a solution to this, let me know.

As far as checking the codes, doesn't the check engine light have to come on for a code to be stored? I haven't had the CEL come on in over two years and not since I have replaced the motor and just about every sensor. I plan on checking the codes anyways when I get a chance.

Any more ideas what could cause this? Can someone confirm whether or not a bad fuel pump could cause a problem like this?

bigcletus94 said:
This problem happens at any speed randomly, even cruising when there is little to no engine movement.

snip

Any more ideas what could cause this? Can someone confirm whether or not a bad fuel pump could cause a problem like this?

What does it do when you try to accelerate harder than normal, like when pulling onto a highway? What you describe doesn't quite sound like a fuel pump. A fuel pump would starve the engine more when you are asking for more fuel, like acceleration. A clogged fuel filter can cause the engine to die for a while, then wakes up again as some fuel pushes through the clog. I don;t know if that sounds like the solution to your problem either, but it may be a cheaper thing to try.

When I accelerate faster than normal, it may or may not cut out. It doesn't seem to matter how fast I accelerate. It does it at all and any speed randomly. Thats why I thought maybe the fuel pump is shutting off for a second or two then turns back on. I think it is either a sensor or something. I haven't changed the fuel filter in a while, but the way the car jerks when this happens it seems to me like an electrical problem. Either way, this motor's days are numbered. EVery time I change the oil, more metal chunks come out. My last motor blew up the main bearings and I think this reman ford is doing the same thing.

I had the dealer inspect my car not too long ago just to see if they could find a problem with my car and they said everything looked good and ran to factory specs. I am lost at this point :confused: One things for sure, I sure as hell am not putting another 3.8 in this thing. Maybe a DOHC M8 motor...

Back