balancer replacement

madstyle51

Can Anyone Tell Me Where To Find A Harmonic Balancer, How Much It Would Cost, And If It Is Easy To Take The Old One Out And Reinstall The New One? Someone Told Me You Have To Pull The Whole Engine But I Didnt Believe Them, Is That True? Also, Do You Have To Zero It Or Balance It Somehow?

Thanks To All The Previous Replies

You don't have to pull the engine.

Take the serpentine belt off. Remove upper radiator hose. Remove fan. Remove lower pulley (4 bolts 13mm). Remove center crank bolt in middle of balancer (22mm. I use a 2 ft. breaker bar and a 6" extension) then get a balancer puller and find bolts that thread into the pulley holes. Don't thread them in all the way or you will bend the hall effect ring on the back of the balancer like I did. Get them in far enough to grab. Then use the tool to pull the balancer off the crankshaft. If the pulley bolts broke off in the balancer like mine did the 2nd time I pulled it off, I used a 2 ton 3-jaw puller and let the crank bolt in the center loose but used it as a place for the puller to pull against. When I got the balancer far enough loose, I took the puller off, took the crank bolt out, and was able to remove it by hand. To reinstall the new one, swap over the ring on the back (I think reverse torx screws hold it on) and then line it up right on the crank and gently tap it on until the crank bolt will bite. Then get a torque wrench and crank it on till its tight. If its a manual trans car leave the car in gear. It will allow you to tighten the crank bolt. If you have an automatic here's what I did. Take a 14mm deep socket, jack up the car. Then use the torque wrench to spin the crank bolt and rotate the engine crank. Look through the inspection cover on the bellhousing. When you see the torque convertors drain plug, slip the 14mm deep socket on it, then slowly turn the crank till the socket hits the edge of the inspection hole. Now the engine is locked,and you can torque the crank bolt down. Then get a small hammer and tap the socket off the drain bolt, or put the car in gear (engine off) and push it forward or backwards until the socket is in the center of the inspection hole and you can remove it. Then put the pulley and belt and hose back on. Fill radiator, bleed air, and then start the car.

Make sure you go to ford and buy a replacement crank bolt. They are like $9.00 or something like that.

Your pulley should have weights on it to balance it, and the balancer itself if its not damaged should already be balanced. There is a used one on ebay for $30.00 but be careful w/ a used one as its not recommended. Some of the guys here have re-used them or bought used and had no problems, others have. The guys who have had problems have voiced their concerns on various other threads about balancers.

The best thing would be to order a BHJ performance balancer since it will not break like a stock or replacement Ford balancer will.

Do it once, do it right.

Last edited:
madstyle51 said:
thanks a lot buddy!! huge, almost paid 1k to have someone come out and do it
I dont see how people figure they can charge somebody 1K dollars to replace a balancer. It seriously takes about a half an hour to do it and all you need to do it is preferrably a new crank sensor and a BHJ Balancer which runs you under $400. :rolleyes:

I can have mine off in 20 minutes. Most things on my SC that I was once scared to work on now only takes me 20 minutes.

Balancer, radiator, supercharger, water pump, alternator, t-stat, intercooler, a/c compressor, 02 sensors, fuel filter, throttle body, blower top, all are 20 minute jobs.

Back