code 46

esco90SC

Was driving around and the Tach began jumping down to half what it should be and losing acceleration. It would throw a CE light, then just correct itself and be fine for a bit. The problem got worse and now the CE light is on the majority of the time. Real rough idle. No acceleration unless I push it harder than normal. Tach is still reporting lower rpm's than what she should be doing for the speed. Only mod is 3.73's.

First started with replacing Camshaft sensor. No improvment.
Next had codes pulled and got 41, 46.
- 41 - Indicates lean condition.
- 46 - DIS coil pack 1 circuit failure or coil 2 primary circuit failure.

I replaced the coil pack with a Borg Warner one for $80 from O'Riellys. No noticible improvement after disconnecting the battery for over 10 minutes and changing out coil pack, applying dieletric grease to all connections.

Does code 46 point to DIS going bad or the coil pack?

aaron

esco90SC said:
- 41 - Indicates lean condition.
- 46 - DIS coil pack 1 circuit failure or coil 2 primary circuit failure.

I replaced the coil pack with a Borg Warner one for $80 from O'Riellys. No noticible improvement after disconnecting the battery for over 10 minutes and changing out coil pack, applying dieletric grease to all connections.

Does code 46 point to DIS going bad or the coil pack?

aaron
DIS... coil packs rarely go bad. After clearing codes, check for the 41 later. :)

Yes, coil pack codes and rough running (like it's firing on 5 cylinders) would generally indicate a bad DIS.

Back