Replacing Timing Chain? Should I?

darkstar_one

Hey dudes and dudas,

i want to replace my timing chain since my engine is out already but i dont wanna mess with the balancer! Im scared of touching it! With all those bad things on the board and stuff that happen when u touch it! But should i replace my timing chain! my dad says i should but im a lil to frightened that it can be the end for my balancer! My balancer is in very very good condition... no wobbles... nothing like that sort... ! How can i do this!

From my limited SC knowledge our timming chain design boreders on the UNBREAKABLE line i belive even teh 400+hp guys still have teh stock timming chains with NO problems

Usually .....

As per my knowledge, the timing chains on these cars are VERY STRONG. They're already a version that is very stong.

My question to you is: How many miles on car???? If over 130,000---140,000, I would recommend changing the balancer. A guy here in the Jersey Club had a 190,000+ SC original balancer and when he removed his motor (still good by the way!!!, on original head gaskets!!!!), the balancer was shot....No bad signs either.

I would suggest either leaving it alone, or swapping it out. The SC has a tensioner on the timing chain so any slack gets taken up.

Don

If you remove it, replace it. That applies to both the balancer and the chain. Personally I highly recommend doing both. Timing cover gaskets are bad leakers anyway, it's a good time to take it off, clean it up, and start fresh. :D I just had a stock balancer break (no warning, no wobble) and the bolt is broken off in the crank. Not going to be fun to replace now. :(

Back