5 Speed rebuild

1989Silvercoupe

Just want to yell yippee. I just completed the rebuild of my M5R2 in my 89sc. The rebuild kit from Southern Gear is excellent and all the help and instructions on the forum where very helpful and often life saving. I am running Royal Purple Synchromax® fluid and the transmission shifts great. Don't be intimidated by this transmission. With basic mechanical skills this is definatly a shade tree mechanic project. Rebuild kit $300 , slave cylinder $87, clutch kit $100( ebay ) Flywheel surfacing $30. Doing it myself, Priceless. Thanks for all the help everyone on he forum. :)

1989Silvercoupe said:
Just want to yell yippee. I just completed the rebuild of my M5R2 in my 89sc. The rebuild kit from Southern Gear is excellent and all the help and instructions on the forum where very helpful and often life saving. I am running Royal Purple Synchromax® fluid and the transmission shifts great. Don't be intimidated by this transmission. With basic mechanical skills this is definatly a shade tree mechanic project. Rebuild kit $300 , slave cylinder $87, clutch kit $100( ebay ) Flywheel surfacing $30. Doing it myself, Priceless. Thanks for all the help everyone on he forum. :)

Interesting you posted this just as I was about to search the forums. I am currently getting ready to rebuild mine, it is out of my car and on the workbench. But I was afraid to get started because of all the special tools that seemed to be required for the job. What "special" tools did you have to use and where did you get them from. This is my biggest concern. Any help with this info would be appreciated. Thanks and congrats btw! :D

Sorry for the delay 91blownsc. I did'nt use any speacial tooling. I did have access to a hydraulic press which was very helpful for removing and installing some of the bearings. Just use basic hand tools and gear pullers. A thick wall length of pipe that will fit over the output shaft is useful for pressing on one of the bearings.. use this link for helpful info on rebuild http://www.fivaxis.com/m5r2rebuild/ Thats about it. Not too complicated. I did also have copys of the shop manual for rebuilding. I wil post where to get them later, I have to remember where I found them. Good luck

1989Silvercoupe said:
Sorry for the delay 91blownsc. I did'nt use any speacial tooling. I did have access to a hydraulic press which was very helpful for removing and installing some of the bearings. Just use basic hand tools and gear pullers. A thick wall length of pipe that will fit over the output shaft is useful for pressing on one of the bearings.. use this link for helpful info on rebuild http://www.fivaxis.com/m5r2rebuild/ Thats about it. Not too complicated. I did also have copys of the shop manual for rebuilding. I wil post where to get them later, I have to remember where I found them. Good luck

Thats what I wanted to hear. I didn't want to have to search for 8,000 special tools. Roughly how long did the job take you? Im hoping to get mine apart and back together quickly. Thanks for the reply btw.

Back