1992 SC 5 Speed 60 000 miles

Tomi

Hi
I had a problem with rough idle. I changed the IAC (Idle air controller) and it is better - occasionally. I drove yesterday 130 miles without any problems..
Then today the check engine light went on again and when the light is on the engine is not responding to the gas - EXCEPT - when the clutch is on or the gear is in neutral.
So it could not be the gas sensor or gas itself because it revs freely. Could it be the cranksensor then? Does it make any sence as it revs freely when the clutch is on or the gears are in neutral? It could be driven when the check engine light is on but one have to accelerate very lightly and slowly.
I don´t drive it during winters so then the battery is off and when reconnected the computer must learn the idle again -but could it take so long..
Have had the bird since new and I´m not ready to give up yet because this is not a big problem -I think. I have the factory´s big shop manual but no direct answer for this one.
I would appreciate if anyone could give an advice or have had similar problems.
Thank you in advance:
Tomi

Check the codes

I would start at getting the codes from the EEC. That may point you in the right direction.
Could be a loose connection somewhere.

Back