verify somethin for me plz?!

895speed

i know what i'm about to say has been in this forum for a long time. but i just want somebody to verify it for me clealry. now when your fan gives out, and you make it direct to the battery it works fine, so they say cut wire #14 and it would work, true or false? and if so how do you know which one is #14 or by what colors does it go by? any feedback would be truly appreciated thanks ....................Robert

My fan is regulated off and on by the Ol' finger on the A/C or defrost button. :eek:

Instead of cutting the #14 wire and making the fan run all the time, isn't the "dealy bobber" (I don't know the name of it but sits in front frame in front of air cleaner) usually the culprit?? Doesn't that activate the fan when the EEC tells it to turn it on? I know cutting the wire is usally the simplest solution, but replacing that electrical box thingy wouldn't that fix the problem? :confused: :confused:

BobGPz said:
the "dealy bobber" (I don't know the name of it but sits in front frame in front of air cleaner)

I believe your referring to the IRCM - Internal Relay Control Module or something like that. I've had to smack mine a time or two cuz the fan wouldn't quit running, even after the car was shut off.

-Andy "Melon"

You need to test both speeds of the fan from the battery to verify it's working (there is a 3 wire connection, 1 low speed, 1 high & a ground). I'd also use a heavy cable with a big fuse in it if you are jumping off the battery. Assuming they both run ok, you can then verify if the IRCM is causing a problem by putting on the a/c or defroster - this should automatically bring on the low speed fan. Secondly there is a fusible link for the fan power on 89-93 SC's so that may have blown (usually a sign that the fan motor is on it's last legs) and on 94-95 there are big fuses in the underhood box. Cutting the number 14 wire on the IRCM is a common solution to stabilizing the water temp. during the summer months - a lot of guys also put a switch in line to activate this. I dont remember the wire color but it's marked on the pin connection block of the IRCM.

bypass the IRCM completely by using two thermostatically controlled relays spliced directly to the Fan (one for HI, one for LOW)coupled with a 180* t-stat, this will greatly increase your cooling capabilities during the HOT summer months down hear...O'reillys sells the relays for 33.00 i think, and are adjustable between 160-210*

Joe

ok thanks guys i will try out all of your suggsetions to see which one i can really do with out me short circutin something. thanks Robert :D

Back