jeep question...

crzykyman

hey all, looking at a 98 jeep wrangler 4 cyl... 5 speed.. anyone know if they are known to have problems??? its 6K dollars.. is that too much??? thanks.

I remember looking at those a while ago before I bought my Golf. What I noticed is that so many of them have been thrashed on really bad. The 4 cylinders are gutless and the softtop basically does nothing to insulate.
I'm not an expert but that's just what I've seen. But the ones with the 4.0: I-6 move real quick and those are pretty good engines.

I had a 1997 brand new before I got the SC. It was the biggest POS I have ever owned, including the $100 cars I had in college.

The 4.0L 6Cyl is gutless as well. I had a 5-speed sport with that engine. 80 MPH was the top speed, although anything over 50MPH you couldn't hear the radio over the wind noise anyway. My mind was made to trade it after I got beat in a drag race by three carpenters in a loaded up cube van, complete with stepladders tied to the roof. You don't get much slower than that.

Poor gas mileage too. I would hope you get one or the other, good MPG, or MPH, this thing got neither.

As far as the winter I'd rather drive my SC in the snow any day. Traction was good taking off, but if a cat farted in your general direction you would spin out. I went off the road in that thing more than all the rest of the vehicles I have owned put together.

I wont get into all the other defects and design flaws, let alone the worst customer service from any dealer ever.

Gutless 4.0?

Where did you come up with that figure of 80mph top speed????

I have had My Wrangler to about 105 So they deffinately do more then 80

Stay away from the 4cyl they are weak

that is oveer priced for a 4cyl wrangler

Hes right about the wind noise this is why Jeep offers a sound bar which locates a set of speakers up on the rool bar just behind the seats
This cures the noise issue with not being able to hear the stereo

The Jeeps have their tradeoffs

If you would like a vehicle that you can pull the doors and the roof off and cruise around in the summer
Then in winter throw on the NEW INSULATED hardtop and have an excellent snow driven vehicle

Then a wrangler is a good vehicle for you ]

If you want a soft riding Quiet truck stick with a SUV

To answer your question 6000 is too much for a 4cyl 98 wrangler

Id look around and find a 6cyl

Conan56 said:
Where did you come up with that figure of 80mph top speed????
That is what the speedometer said when running down the freeway with the accelerator to the floor in 5th gear. Trust me when I say I tried it several times. I took the thing into the dealer a few times and told them to check the engine because I thought it was weak. They never found a problem. The fact that I needed full throttle just to keep up in the slow lane of I-75 aggrevated me so much that I always drove back roads to work and school while I had that thing.

Hes right about the wind noise this is why Jeep offers a sound bar which locates a set of speakers up on the rool bar just behind the seats
This cures the noise issue with not being able to hear the stereo.

I forgot about that sound bar thing. I don't think that wasn't available when I had mine, but I do remember seeing it in a catalog after I sold it.

That is one thing good about a Jeep, there is a TON of aftermarket equiptment. They also seem to have about the tightest knit following. When your Jeep breaks down nearly every other Jeep owner in the world will pull over to help.

Back