Turbo SC???

Anything is possible...it's just a matter of time and money. To date nobody offers a kit to turbocharge an SC, so it would have to be a custom job.

David

thats hard to imagine...all the work, money, add ons to make the SC faster and nobody has invented a turbo? Come on now thats disturbing especially considering how many other cars you can get a turbo system for. I wish i had money and time to do it myself. I guess i have to be patient but i will be there to buy one when it is eventually invented because this SC of mine is here to stay.
Thanks

Sc

Its too complicated to run both a turbo and A supercharger

I think the Supercharger would just end up causing a restriction

Conan56 said:
Its too complicated to run both a turbo and A supercharger

I think the Supercharger would just end up causing a restriction

I wouldn't do it that way, but in theory it would work. The M90 will moved compressed air just the same as moving air that isn't compressed. Using a rear mounted turbo similar to the STS system would be the easiest. It wouldn't require much extra boost from the turbo, 5 or 6 pounds would be plenty.

David

Actually, somewhere either on here or on Tccoa there is an article that is dated in 1987 or so that shows those spy pics. It says that there was suppose to be a supercharged and turbo Bird. If I can find it I will let you know.

Turbo and Supercharged

Dave

My theory on this is that the CFM capabilitys of the m90 are severely restricted I would think that a if you were going to install a turbo
you would install a farly large one and that its CFM capability would far surpass the m90 If Im not mistaken the m90 can only flow like 500 cfm
(correct me if im worng)

This is why i think the blower would be a restriction

Found that article. Had to have someone on Tccoa find, so thanks to them. Just to let you know that it was thought of.
concept%20thunderbird.jpg

Wow thats pretty cool. I dont see the turbo though and man that would be pretty extreme if the SC came with the turbo and blower. Especially for Ford.
Cool pic thanks.

The M90 wouldnt hamper anything if you route the intake side of the turbo after the supercharger and before the return plenum.

It can be done, but who has the money??

PS - that is an ugly as sin bird...ugly...its like a breed (cousin to cousin) of a caddie and a bird...bleh..

Stephen

Last edited:
Ugly Bird

That bird most likely looks liek an ordinary 89 SC

They wierd body lines you see on that car are actually plates that the manufacturer puts ont he car to alter appearance So noone can get spy photos of the car before production

Many manufactures do this to hide the appearance

Makes you wonder what happened to that car though

Super + Turbo

FastBird91 said:
.......nobody has invented a turbo? Come on now thats disturbing especially considering how many other cars you can get a turbo system for.
Yes, and all of those turbo kits are for N/A cars.

If you're thinking about a Supercharger + Turbocharger(s), you need to talk to Matt & Debbie Hays. They did a hot pink (fox body) T-bird that was both super & turbo charged.

68COUGAR

89SCK@t said:
The M90 wouldnt hamper anything if you route the intake side of the turbo after the supercharger and before the return plenum.

Actually that is backward. You put the (potentially) bigger boost in front.

A 3.8 NA uses only about 350 CFM, they said the Eaton is only good to
~500 CFM so you would need at least a 500 CFM turbo in front of it to
feed it properly, at the desired boost levels.

He is saying the turbo will back up air before the supercharger since the turbo will flow MUCH better than the M90. I'd put it after if anything to super-compress the air. Intercool it after each compression.

Randy N Connie said:
Food for thought.

Randy,

That's the rear mount STS turbo I was talking about. Using a turbo like that to feed pressurized air to the supercharger would be the easiest way to retain the supercharger (for bottom end grunt) and have the turbocharger for mid and top end power. The M-90 will move all the air you could ever need if it was being feed with positive manifold pressure. The oulet tube from the turbo would connect to the MAF which would need to placed a little closer to the throttle body (to remove any sharp turns just before the MAF) and changed to a blow thru style. A larger IC similar in size to the MP FMIC would also be needed.

Since the turbo's blow off valve would be located before the MAF, there is no concern with venting the metered air when the throttle is lifted. The standard bypass valve on the supercharger would contine to function as it does now.

The turbo doesn't need to be real efficent, just good enough to maintain positive intake charge pressure in front of the supercharger.

David

What about a pullied whipple fed to a front mount and the whipple was getting say 9 psi from a turbo? I prefer one or the other, or one form of forced induction plus a power adder (nitrous).

I would still think the M90 would be the bottle neck if you fed it with a turbo. But if you sized everything properly it might work decent. It would still be pretty expensive and I think the money could be spent elsewhere on other modifications that would prove more effective.

Scott Long said:
What about a pullied whipple fed to a front mount and the whipple was getting say 9 psi from a turbo? I prefer one or the other, or one form of forced induction plus a power adder (nitrous).

I would still think the M90 would be the bottle neck if you fed it with a turbo. But if you sized everything properly it might work decent. It would still be pretty expensive and I think the money could be spent elsewhere on other modifications that would prove more effective.

Dave said it exactly like I had in mind, but I had to type a short reply and leave :)

...Using a turbo like that to feed pressurized air to the supercharger would be the easiest way to retain the supercharger (for bottom end grunt) and have the turbocharger for mid and top end power. The M-90 will move all the air you could ever need if it was being feed with positive manifold pressure. The oulet tube from the turbo would connect to the MAF which would need to placed a little closer to the throttle body (to remove any sharp turns just before the MAF) and changed to a blow thru style...

...The turbo doesn't need to be real efficent, just good enough to maintain positive intake charge pressure in front of the supercharger.

David

This is 2-stage supercharging 101, the bigger boost feeds the smaller one.
Both SC and Turbo are pressure differential type devices, in other words,
let's assume for a moment that the M90 has a pressure ratio of about 1.8
meaning that output pressure is about equal to atmospheric plus .8 bar more.
That would equal about 12 PSI at the hat, which is what I've heard they do
with stock pullies and everything else stock. (TB, MAF, inlet elbow, etc.)
Throw a tirbo in front of that like Dave showed us above, and feed it with a
1.6 bar turbo @ 500 CFM, you then have 9 PSI feeding the M90 then it is
actually doing it's pressure ratio dance with almost 24 PSI (absolute) for
starters, then the net result is ~43 PSI, from which you subtract the base
15 PSI for atmospheric (I know it is actually 14.7, but I rounded) which
leaves us at 28 PSI at the SC "hat" with no additional parasitic on the engine
other than the turbo, and they can be practically a Zero Parasitic loss if you
get the camming right.

Turbo after the SC can work too, but it would be easier and make more power
if you ran a big(ger) turbo before the SC. After the SC would take a slightly
to substantially smaller turbo than the SC so as to have it sized correctly.

Either way, 2-staging blowers makes both more efficient as they have
reduced exducer pressure to push against as compared to inlet pressure.

Relative sizing would be like this: Small turbo for after SC, big turbo for pre-SC.

Back