Pulled 2 codes

CMac89

I pulled a couple of codes KOEO.

85- reaching fuel limit "lean", etc....

I have a 255HP fuel pump and 42#injectors with an 80mm C&L, so i'm guessing this means I need a computer chip?

88- DIS problem with loss of dual plug control.

Does this mean my DIS module is bad? If so, where can I get one and for how much?

Any help is appreciated. :)

CMac89 said:
I pulled a couple of codes KOEO.

85- reaching fuel limit "lean", etc....

I have a 255HP fuel pump and 42#injectors with an 80mm C&L, so i'm guessing this means I need a computer chip?

88- DIS problem with loss of dual plug control.

Does this mean my DIS module is bad? If so, where can I get one and for how much?

Any help is appreciated. :)

According to my book, 85 is a cannister purge failure and 88 is electric fan failure.

:confused:

Well, the book that I have has lists 3 possibilities for each of the codes. For the code 88 it said electric fan circuit failure, or throttle kicker, or DIS problem.

I dont remember what all the possibilities for the code 85 was, but what I said was one of the possibilities and I can see how its lean because the spark plugs are nothing but white.

88 could be fan related, do you have a switch hooked up to your fan? i did, and forgot to turn it off before i ran the test and it gave me an error.

My codes are taken from the Ford Diagnostic manual. There are no options in that book. Other sources try to combine possible codes from different engines and different years which is why they say "this or that". Clear the codes and try again.

It is normal for the plugs to run clean. Unleaded gas does not leave much for deposits. I assume you put in new plugs when you did the cam? Most likely you are running lean from your mods, but how much is hard to say. The meter I sent you is calibrated to run a little richer than just "by the book" because of that but it may not be enough. Although, for the car to be lean enough to be breaking up does not sound like a meter problem.

You have to verify fuel pressure and proper ignition function before you can look to anything else. Meter out your plug wires and check for solid connections. Look at the plugs, what are they anyway?

If you have a spare cam sensor, dis, and coil pack that helps for quick diagnosing of those components. They do not always set codes.

I would beg/borrow/steal a remote fuel pressure tester so you can clip it to the windshield and watch it under boost. It should climb to about 50-55psi under boost and not fall off when the car starts to break up.

The problem didnt occur under WOT before i put the injectors in. I just put in a new crank sensor and switched to autolite DPs from the original platinums yesterday and swapped DIS modules out today. Didnt make a difference.

I'm just thinking my car is in need for tuning. I self-ported the heads, put a cam in, 255HP fuel pump with new filter (one week ago), 42# injectors, and the 80mm maf i bought from you.

Ever since I ported the heads and put a cam in its been fading or taking nosedives like its getting a flameout when i reach around 4000rpm. This is because i am running lean. I made 270rwhp before i ported the heads and put cam in it so i'm sure its running over 300rwhp now maxing out the stock injectors especially since they have 153K miles on them.

42# injectors is quite a jump from 30's which you know and I wont idle good if at all somtimes after i put the injectors in with normal vacuum which is 16.

We'll see once I meet you at Dayton, but until then I am going to go through EVERYTHING that I possibly can. I'm not to worried, it all just seems as if it is in need for a tune.

CMac89 said:
The problem didnt occur under WOT before i put the injectors in. I just put in a new crank sensor and switched to autolite DPs from the original platinums yesterday and swapped DIS modules out today. Didnt make a difference.

I'm just thinking my car is in need for tuning. I self-ported the heads, put a cam in, 255HP fuel pump with new filter (one week ago), 42# injectors, and the 80mm maf i bought from you.

Ever since I ported the heads and put a cam in its been fading or taking nosedives like its getting a flameout when i reach around 4000rpm. This is because i am running lean. I made 270rwhp before i ported the heads and put cam in it so i'm sure its running over 300rwhp now maxing out the stock injectors especially since they have 153K miles on them.

42# injectors is quite a jump from 30's which you know and I wont idle good if at all somtimes after i put the injectors in with normal vacuum which is 16.

We'll see once I meet you at Dayton, but until then I am going to go through EVERYTHING that I possibly can. I'm not to worried, it all just seems as if it is in need for a tune.

If its running lean enough to "nose" over then please don't hammer it anymore. It's probably 16:1.

This was pre-injectors/maf and it wont let me take it anywhere during WOT, so we dont have to worry about it. :)

Whenever it was nosing over it had the 30's in it and I didnt floor it at all after I felt it the first time. I was scared.

XR7 Dave said:
My codes are taken from the Ford Diagnostic manual. There are no options in that book. Other sources try to combine possible codes from different engines and different years which is why they say "this or that". Clear the codes and try again.

It is normal for the plugs to run clean. Unleaded gas does not leave much for deposits. I assume you put in new plugs when you did the cam? Most likely you are running lean from your mods, but how much is hard to say. The meter I sent you is calibrated to run a little richer than just "by the book" because of that but it may not be enough. Although, for the car to be lean enough to be breaking up does not sound like a meter problem.

You have to verify fuel pressure and proper ignition function before you can look to anything else. Meter out your plug wires and check for solid connections. Look at the plugs, what are they anyway?

If you have a spare cam sensor, dis, and coil pack that helps for quick diagnosing of those components. They do not always set codes.

I would beg/borrow/steal a remote fuel pressure tester so you can clip it to the windshield and watch it under boost. It should climb to about 50-55psi under boost and not fall off when the car starts to break up.
I didnt answer your questions. The plug wires are the taylors and they have about 5,000miles on them. I did change the plugs when i changed the cam, and the headgaskets about 300miles ago. The plugs I changed to were the regular autolite platinums and not the double platinums, but i just changed to the DP's yesterday. The plugs I took out were all white with a rusted color tip with little discolored spots on it.

Fuel pressure should be good seeing as how i bought the 255HP fuel pump kit from MN12 performance and has about 100 miles if even that on it.

As for the cam sensor it has about 2000 miles on it. I have not tried the another coil pack though.

Back