PDA

View Full Version : Best Tire For Traction

OneFastBird
03-30-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm just trying to figure out what the best tire that you know of or that you have found out to be the best tire for traction on the street and or the track. Everyone's help would be helpful!

blue94sc
03-31-2005, 12:34 AM
The previous owner had Bridgestone Turanza tires installed onto the car before I bought it. So far I am very pleased on their traction. They stick to dry pavement very well. It takes a little effort to roast them. Ok in the rain and VERY quiet on the highway.
He ended up getting Turanzas installed onto his Buick Regal (also supercharged).
They are a touring type of tire with a little give to make the ride comfortable but with a little performance. Some performace tires make running over a dime feel like a curb.
It all depends on what type of ride your looking for.

SC&GT4ME
04-07-2005, 08:36 PM
have to go with the mickey thompson e/t streets......although I might go with the Nitto drag radials which will last a bit longer.

pablon2
04-08-2005, 09:57 AM
I have bridgestone RE750s for my road tires. They're are not an all season radial, so no winter driving on them. Great dry and wet traction though. Traction rating is "AA".

LIL QIK
04-09-2005, 09:46 PM
If you're looking for the street/strip combo I would have to say the Nitto 555R's.......it's their drag radial..........I daily drove on these tires most of the time in my SS Camaro........and I have to say it has excellent grip on dry streets and your *** isn't puckering in the rain. You can literally daily drive on them..........

Downside........I only get about 15,000 to 17,000 out of them before they are no good in the rain. I was buying a new set every 3-4 months. But I drive everywhere.

When I swap to the Cobra R's..........I'll be going back to them.

Slysc
04-11-2005, 10:07 AM
I've had a set of BFG 255/50/16 Drag radials on stock rims on my SC for a couple years. The tread lasted about 5000 miles. They're pretty good traction at the strip and on dry pavement. 1.72 50 ft. times. They have always been scary on damp pavement. Now that they're slicks, they will hydroplane on even the slightest wetness of road.

I recently bought a set of 17 x 7.5" cobra r replicas and plan to put the Nitto 555Rs on them. I'm debating on trying to fit the 275/40s on them or going with the 245/45/17s.

LIL QIK
04-11-2005, 02:51 PM
I've had a set of BFG 255/50/16 Drag radials on stock rims on my SC for a couple years. The tread lasted about 5000 miles. They're pretty good traction at the strip and on dry pavement. 1.72 50 ft. times. They have always been scary on damp pavement. Now that they're slicks, they will hydroplane on even the slightest wetness of road.

I recently bought a set of 17 x 7.5" cobra r replicas and plan to put the Nitto 555Rs on them. I'm debating on trying to fit the 275/40s on them or going with the 245/45/17s.

The 275/40 will look fine on your 17x7.5........for some reason the Nitto drags are a little skinnier than the regular street tire of the same size. For example.......the 315/35-17 drag from Nitto........looks like a 275 on a normal tire on a 9.5 inch rim.

You'll be fine.

Slysc
04-11-2005, 08:55 PM
SWEEETTT!!!! Thanks for that info.

None of the so called "tire professionals" at any of the big tire retailers or even a couple tech support people for on-line tire retailers couldn't tell me anything about it other than "the recommended wheel width for that tire is..."

LIL QIK
04-12-2005, 06:44 AM
SWEEETTT!!!! Thanks for that info.

None of the so called "tire professionals" at any of the big tire retailers or even a couple tech support people for on-line tire retailers couldn't tell me anything about it other than "the recommended wheel width for that tire is..."

Yea........that's because all they know how to do is look in a book. They've never actually used the tire and seen what it looks like in real world applications. But keep in mind.......what I just told you only apply's to the Nitto 555R , the other drag radials out there are pretty much a true width tire. It's really just the Nitto drags that are skinnier for some reason.