Maf Cleaning

coolhand

Hi Guys and Gals
I was wondering if anyone has any info re: the cleaning of your MAF? Is it something that should be donr only if there is a problem? With the installation of my cold air intake, I thought I might ask.

Sorry guys.....Just realized how much info there is on this...............

Last edited:
Remove the MAF from your car, put some windex on a q-tip and gently rub the wires. If your MAF is old, some black crud might come off. This and a new air filter will make it feel like you picked up 20 horsepower.

Also, Matt, if you put on a new conical air filter with the new CAI, plan on cleaning the MAF again after a couple of weeks of driving. Those filters are usually a little heavy in oil, and sometimes some will end up coating your filament on the MAF electronics again.

You can use Windex like Mike suggested. I use electronics solvent in the spray can. I give it a shot, and then gently wipe the filament with a Q-tip, and the solvent evaporates to make sure you don't leave anything behind.

BTW, I've heard that the EEC adapts to the readings it has been getting from the MAF over time. You may want to disconnect the battery for a while to clear that, but perhaps you could check the forums on the subject first.

Best regards,

Sean

If you do clean the MAF, I would HIGHLY recommend disconnecting the battery and reset everything, or your car will run kinda funky like mine did.

Frit

Back