Mark VIII driveshaft in 94 SC manual???

Mercury267

Guys,

I have an Automatic trns in my T-bird, and am converting to a 5 speed manual. I have the chance to get a 1993 mark VIII one piece alumn. driveshaft. My question is will the drive shaft work with a manual trans, or just the AOD tranny? Also, is there a one piece alumn drive shaft for the 5 speed cars that will bolt right in?

PM me or email if you your could with any info.

Thanks,

~Mercy

I just posted something in another thread.

The Mark VIII drive shaft will NOT fit in with the M5R2 Manual.

The Auto and the Manual tranny's have different drive shaft length.

driveshaft blues....

If the Mark shaft doesn't work on the manual is there any one piece alumn. shaft made at all that can be used?

Mercy - I'm not aware of any "off the shelf " alum. drive shafts for our cars except that the '93 alum one off the Mark 8 is supposed to be a direct fit for the '94/95 SC automatics. I'd go on-line and search the drive shaft companies. However, I might be interested in the Mark 8 one myself for my '94 - would you mind forwarding the details to me?, as I'm only in south jersey.

Mercury267 said:
Guys,

I have an Automatic trns in my T-bird, and am converting to a 5 speed manual. I have the chance to get a 1993 mark VIII one piece alumn. driveshaft. My question is will the drive shaft work with a manual trans, or just the AOD tranny? Also, is there a one piece alumn drive shaft for the 5 speed cars that will bolt right in?

PM me or email if you your could with any info.

Thanks,

~Mercy

The Mark8 shaft will work but it needs to be cut about 5in to fit right. I got a quote for my Mark8 shaft from a local driveline shop intown and they said it would cost me $50 to have it cut and balanced.

Shane

Shane,

I personally don't recommend doing that.

I would recommend talking to Columbus Joint and Clutch (local shop specializing in drive lines) about having a custom one made, or get in on the group purchase on TCCoA. Don't mess with doing any cutting and welding on a drive shaft especially with the power and stress that you are planning on throwing on it.

Josh,

I will take that into consideration. I will have to contact Driveline1 which is where I got the price quote from and talk to them about what I plan on putting it threw and see what they have to say about it.

Shane

When you measure them, the measurements are taken from center of U-joint to center of U-joint, right.

It measure the shaft I got off of a '94 just a few days ago. It measured to be about 58 1/4". The shaft on a '90 SC AOD (mine) is 57 7/8" as per this website. Would that work for me without doing any alterations? Is there enough play as to where I don't have to shorten the mark VIII shaft?

Thanks
Metalman

Do not take this as written in stone. It would seem that you are just under half an inch in difference. If It were me I would try it. UNLESS YOUR CAR IS LOWERED. Then I would have it cut or purchase another one.

Chris

Back