changing the starter solenoid

A lot of places like PepBoys will test your starter for you. That way you can diagnose whether it's the starter solenoid or your relay that's bad.

I would just replace the entire starter while you are down there. Yes it is more money but worth it in the long run.

Shane

I bought a starter for $99.00 and then when I took the old one off the car the solenoid on the starter had a crack in it and you could turn it side to side. I ended up taking it back and just buying the solenoid. Still $40.00 but I got $50.00 back from exchanging the starter. Its not hard to get the starter off. 2 14mm bolts. The top bolt is a little tough but if you have a ratcheting box wrench it'd be quick. I had to turn my wrench a 1/4 turn, then reset it, 1/4 turn, reset, etc... The ratchet wouldn't fit on the top bolt.

Scott Long said:
The top bolt is a little tough but if you have a ratcheting box wrench it'd be quick. I had to turn my wrench a 1/4 turn, then reset it, 1/4 turn, reset, etc... The ratchet wouldn't fit on the top bolt.

Yes I remember doing that. I was out in the street and it was raining at the time. Yeah... not fun laying in water while changing out a starter.

Shane

the starter turns the motor over tho
its weird if u use the relay the starter makes noise and the motor turns
but from the inside u turn the key and u get click the starter does nothing

If the starter works by jumping the relay, then it's not the starter. It could be the relay, but more likely a loose wire on the starter. One of the wires that attaches to the starter has a spade type slip on connection. Mine was loose fitting and turning the key would only cause a click like your getting.

I just squeezed the female side of the connection with some pliers so it would fit tight on the male terminal...problem solved.

David

Back