Should I Install A Thermostat???

darkstar_one

Should I or should i not install a Thermostat... i mean the car was already running without one! No wonder it would take forever to reach operating temperature when i would try to warm it up! But anywho! Should i put one on since ima be reinstalling my Intake Manifold pretty soon? Mayba a 160 thermostat?

darkstar_one said:
Should I or should i not install a Thermostat... i mean the car was already running without one! No wonder it would take forever to reach operating temperature when i would try to warm it up! But anywho! Should i put one on since ima be reinstalling my Intake Manifold pretty soon? Mayba a 160 thermostat?

Put in a 180 degree t-stat.

Yes put the 180 degree one in instead of the 160. From what I have heard some people with the 160 T-stat have had computer problems.

Shane

Autozone 400-180, might have to make your own gasket, unless you have one with your head set.

I have a 160 in my 92 and it runs cool, but pig rich and it drinks gas. I think the computer dumps too much fuel because it thinks the car is in a colder climate.

I have a 190 in my 90 and with newer hg's, it never gets over the N on the gauge unless it sits in a traffic jam. I have a relay switched to the low speed fan, so if it gets hot I can turn the fan on myself. I have a new temp switch too so I guess my gauge is accurate. I will put an autometer temp guage in my a-pillar soon.

You can get the T-stat gasket at autozone or advanced. I always prefer to go to advanced over autozone in my town because there are a bunch of gheto thugs working at the autozone. Anyways just make sure you ask for a FELPRO t-stat gasket. It will be blue, come in a white and clear plastic package, and have a big hole and a little hole on the gasket. Should be less than $5.

Shane

Last edited:
oh well... autozone nor kragen carry it in stock... sucks... seems ima have to make my own.... anywho... doesnt matter!

Ok the pointed part I goes into the T-stat housing. Put some blue RTV on the outside edge of the t-stat and the place it in the housing. The put the RTV on the gasket and put it over top the t-stat. Let it set for 10-20min then put RTV on the intake manifold and install housing. Should be pretty painless.

Shane

Back