180 thermostat yes no?

purpleshadow25

I'm putting in a new ford radiator for over heating issues and a new condensor for my air condition so after 2 years I can have cold air. I'll be putting in a new thermostat. The person who is doing the work said a lower thermostat could have some ill effects. Is he right? If I do want to us a 180 degree thermostat, would any off self one from Napa be fine? thanks as always.
Pat

Many guys here use 180 thermostat's to keep their birds running a little cooler. So the one from the shelf of NAPA would be fine...
If you live at high temperature area I'd say that 180 t-stat would be nice...

I live in portland Oregon so it does get rainy and colder during the winter. Would a lower thermostat affect the use of the heater?

180 will provide plenty of heat for the winter. Changing the thermostat won't help much without adjusting your fan settings to match.

It's pretty easy to wire a couple of adjustable controllers in for that purpose. Let me know if you need instructions and a wiring diagram.

David

please could you give me that information. I have to decide now since I'm unable to do the work myself and will be giving information to the person doing the repairs.

Have you bought the radiator yet? If not, try going to a radiator shop and ordering an all metal one, like a CSF. Its half the price and will last much longer, w/ lifetime warranty.

do the cool fan mod, and go with a lower t-stat. i did, and my car runs 10x better now. stays cool all day long no matter what. heat is not really a concern for me, since i am storing my car for winter, but even a 160 will provide satsifactory heat.
-matt

Back