my car is having 'hickups' during exceleration..

bdfnbrd

I just bought a 90' automatic thunderbird SC. it has a 10% pulley on it and nothing else aftermarket that i know of.. besides replaced Headgaskets. But during excelleration the car has what I can only describe as hickups, almost like I'm lightly tapping the breaks.. What is goin on here? I have owned 3 5 speeds and none of them ever did this.. is it normal with an automatic? Anyways, I'd appreciate any reply's... oh, also, anyone in here from around Boise Idaho in here? thanks..
Douglas Day
Middleton Id

I'm hardly a mechanic at all, I read this post cause my engine has a similiar type of problem, it spudders when I gas the pedal hard. But my girl has a buick and hers was just as your describing, I thought (again, not a mechanic) it seemed more like the timing was off and the plugs were firing in the wrong order causing the engne to jerk almost feeling just like that, a hickup with a sudden break type motion. Her dad is a used car dealer, he couldnt figure it out, I threw a 2 dollar can of DryGas in and the problem went away. Couldnt believe it, but thats all it was. Heres a suggestion while your waiting on the pros to answer your question

hickups

Just some advice as a sct tuner and super coupe owner i would check your airfuel ratio on the street. I just put a brand new ford reman motor in and had my blower ported and 10percent pulley as well the rest pretty stock except exhaust. My af ratio on the street in boost was 15.0 down to 12.9 at around 5000rpm and 14.5 around 4000rpm. Well two tweaks later on my computer i have the car steady and smooth 11.5 across the board. This is cheaper to check then fixing blown head gaskets.

Back