new to the forum with Q's

cms20

Hi guys, new to the forum. Been in the sho game for a while so please bare with me. Looking for a new ride and found a built 89 for a good price. This car dyno'ed at 307hp and 420 ft. lbs. Anyway, this car would be a daily driver YEAR round and wanted some imput on if this is a bad idea or not. What happened if i took the belt off the charger? Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. i will be attending Penn State in the fall so i will encounter a considerable amount of snow.

If you take the belt off, the car is ridiculously slow. Far slower than a regular N/A 3.8 due to the intake restriction presented by the intake system.

I use a 90 as a daily driver for the last 250,000 miles, over the last three years. It runs and drives but I don't sweat the small stuff, so it's is not a nice car by any means. If I tried to keep it nice and in top-notch condition I'd be broke, and battier the usual :)

Sounds fishy....

These cars need a load of work to get to those numbers. I'm pushing numbers like that and have cam and ported blower and such.

I would ask what was done to the car...If a lot was done, driving in the snow is useless....

I would also be leary of issues like head gaskets....and bottom end issues. How many miles on the car?????

Post more info about it here. I would also see what mods are done. It should have a noticable lope at idle from a cam with that power.

Don

lube70 said:
These cars need a load of work to get to those numbers. I'm pushing numbers like that and have cam and ported blower and such.

I would ask what was done to the car...If a lot was done, driving in the snow is useless....

I would also be leary of issues like head gaskets....and bottom end issues. How many miles on the car?????

Post more info about it here. I would also see what mods are done. It should have a noticable lope at idle from a cam with that power.

Don

the entire car was rebuilt with 9.2:1 comp. pistons, cam new I beam rods, heads, p&p magnum powers charger, tranny work, custom driveshaft w/cobra u joints, built rear end (don't remember what gears) posi, some others that im forgetting. i do not know what brand these parts are b/c i didn't really get into it that far with him on the phone but everything was done professionally except for the installation of the heads and other easy stuff. he said almost everyhting on the car was from summit so i guess its good stuff. the car is an 89 w/a couple hundred miles on the rebuild and he wants 4600 for it. thought it might be a good deal.

I think it sounds fishy too, cause I haven't seen anything for my TBird SC at Summit other than plug wires or oil filters. Unless of course they have these parts but just don't publish them in their catalogs. I'd sure be asking for invoices for Summit and the company that installed these to make sure they are in the car if you are going to buy it.
Or maybe if the guy selling it, is a member and others on here have personaly seen this car can verify it's interns/mods.
Maybe the guy yanked the 3.8 and put in a 302 or other V8 that is easier to get parts for. Hmmm :confused:

no its not a v8, and yes they do not advertise everything that they have in their catalog because i have gotten parts for my sho from there before. he did tell me he had all recipts and documents of what was done to the car.

Is he a member????

Does he/she post here on the boards or any other boards???

I think most of us here have a fair amount of knowledge of the cars and that has been through careful searching and question asking HERE on these boards.

I am still leary of the price and HP numbers.

Anyway, if you have any questions or want to know what questions to ask,

Call me at (973) 277-4294

I'd be glad to help you.

Don

cms20 said:
Hi guys, new to the forum. Been in the sho game for a while so please bare with me. Looking for a new ride and found a built 89 for a good price. This car dyno'ed at 307hp and 420 ft. lbs. Anyway, this car would be a daily driver YEAR round and wanted some imput on if this is a bad idea or not. What happened if i took the belt off the charger? Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. i will be attending Penn State in the fall so i will encounter a considerable amount of snow.

To answer your question, the boost is easy to modulate, there is no need to worry about excess HP or Tq in the winter. What you will need to do though is get some really good snow tires for it. People who drive year around simply get good snow tires front and back and don't really have any problems. You can pick up an extra set of wheels for dirt cheap. Doesn't hurt to put 300lbs of sand in the trunk either.

don, i would greatly appreciate it and i will take you up on that offer after i look at the car wich will be this comming sunday.
xr7dave. thanks for the imput.

i don't think he is a member here, but if he is, his name is Aundrea and he is from Brunswick, Ohio.

Back