Rear Brake job

blksc

I have to do my rear brakes anyone have any hints to make the job a lil easier or provide tech pointers ?

fun.

ha. dude. I did mine like 2 months ago. Kinda requires some muscle but it can be done by yourself. you gotta get a brake tool at the local parts shop. It's a little cube shaped piece that fits on a 3/8" ratchet, but I'd use a 12" cheater bar atleast. it has 6 different adapter sides. I had to file the only side that would fit a little because it needed more "grip". because you gotta screw in the caliper because of the E Brake instead of just using a C-clamp. I actually painted my Calipers during the whole ordeal. hehe. Good luck mayne. L8a.

Brakes

OH okay i know what your talking about, i saw one of those tools at the autoparts store.

The bolts that hold the rear knuckles in place almost seem to be welded in place, and can be a pain to loosen. (And of course you have to get these off so you can have your rotors turned). If you do not have an impact wrench, then to make this job easier, do this. You will need a 6 sided 15MM open end wrench. and a sledge hammer. Put the wrench on the bolts and tap it with the sledge hammer. This will release the bolts. A regular hammer just doesn't seem to have enough mass to do this.
I had the same problem with that square tool used to turn screw the pistons back in, (just didn't quite fit), but rather than file the tool down, I used a drill to remove a little metal on the pistons themselves.
While your doing this, you might as well flush the lines with new brake fluid if you haven't done it in a while.

Valuable

Thanks for the valuable info, i'll flush the system while i have it down. I've done my front brakes but never the back, this will be new for me

Actually, I find flushing the rears to be easier than the front.
Start with the rear passenger side. Key in ignition must be in
the on position. Have a helper slightly depress the brake peddle,
but do not pump the peddle. The fluid will come out because it is under pressure. Watch your fluid level in the reservoir, and keep adding more fluid. (You do not want to run it dry and get air in the line).There are other posts here which detail how to do it.
Also, before you flush, remove as much of the old fluid out of the reservoir as you can. I use an old windex sprayer to suck this out. There is a hole in the reservoir to the left as you look in it that you can feed the small tube of the windex sprayer into deep down into the reservoir. I can suck about half a quart of fluid out this way. But be warned that it takes a lot of pumping using this method. You may have to stop every once in a while to give your hand a rest. (It may take 10 or 15 minutes of pumping)

Back