Stock block

ITHURTZ

Iv searched but really no luck. How much can the stock block hold in power wise? Would 450ft lb of torque be too much? Also for the tranny, whats that good up to also?

ITHURTZ said:
Iv searched but really no luck. How much can the stock block hold in power wise? Would 450ft lb of torque be too much? Also for the tranny, whats that good up to also?
It will hold, just don't know how long for. Mine makes 430 and hasn't broken anything yet. :cool:

I guess I didn't understand what you meant by "stock block". As for the block itself, no one has had any issues with them at any power level. I was referring to the rotating assembly.

there do are ways to make the whole engine stronger i thini coymiller sells oil man gridles ( i think theyre called like that) and several thing reinforce de block......

You might want to check around the V6 forums like http://www.v6power.net.

I've heard that the 99+ 3.8 and 4.2 blocks are "better" than the SC 3.8 block. But what "better" really means isn't something that's been really investigated around here. The SC block with it's forged crank is pretty stout. It's main defect being the fastening method of the heads that allows the heads to move too much causing failure of head gaskets.

so the stock internals and block can handle alot of beef it sounds?

thanks for the link ill check it out

If you are building one, Dave is the man to ask He is about the highest power in the land on these cars.

What have you done to your assy as far as rods and pistons Dave?

Chris

the best stock block to date is the 04 3.9L block. The mains have morematerial and more wedding underneath, where the main bolts go into, and there's actually enough room to tap for 4 bolt mains, considering you get custom machined 4 bolt caps. But just the fact that there's more material and webbing makes stronger. My main concern would be the lifter valley, with it's puny supports accross the center, but welding in braces can help fix that problem.

But so far the limit is 587rwhp for the block itself, with a cast 4.2 crank and forged rods and pistons at 26psi of turbo boost.

-Thomas

Actually I wouldn't call that the limit. Coy Miller runs 19psi through his M90 + 100HP nitrous on top of that. Way more abusive than turbo boost. ;) Hasn't broken a block yet. Put it this way, if you are asking these questions you don't have enough $$ to break one - well - unless you just toss an untuned 150hp shot on it, that's been done before.

04 3.9 block? What is that block in? The only 3.9 I know of is the one in the ls and the new (stupid) t-bird. Is that an aftermarket block from Ford?

Dave, you still havenet told me about your rotating assy.

Chris

XR-7 Dave is on a stock bottom end. He does have everything else upgraded. You are talking about the black XR-7 that he and his wife own right?

I am pretty sure the SWB is still on a stock bottom end, but with the whipple on it, and running out of fuel it made some good numbers. I think once people who have other supporting mods put a whipple on their SC's we will see some good numbers from stock bottom end. The problem would be fuel issues, or nitrous being introduced and the stock rods failing, or detonating and burning through a hypereutectic piston.

I do not know him personally. The only car I know of is the one on his avitar. Having a brain fart, SWB? What lb injectors do the autorotors work with? For four hundred hp I would think we would be on the outer limits of our fuel rails, and reaching the upper limits of our lines (no math included in that statement cause I dont know what formula to use).

Chris

XR7 Dave said:
Actually I wouldn't call that the limit. Coy Miller runs 19psi through his M90 + 100HP nitrous on top of that. Way more abusive than turbo boost. ;) Hasn't broken a block yet. Put it this way, if you are asking these questions you don't have enough $$ to break one - well - unless you just toss an untuned 150hp shot on it, that's been done before.

best answer ever :D :D :D :D :D

Chris Walker said:
Dave, you still havenet told me about your rotating assy.

Chris
Mine is bone stock and been beat on for 190K miles. I have standard Felpro headgaskets and 18psi. It makes over 400rwhp and sees over 6000rpm routinely. What else do you want to know? :D

XR7 dave do you have like a website where I can look at your car? Sounds like its a major *** whooping car

David Neibert said:
It was slow until he installed that AR blower :D

David
Slow???? My best before the AR was 12.48, faster then Neil Frisbee, Yo! :p

ITHURTZ, check the Connie Dalke member page. ;)

Back