Looked at an '89 SC...

JMVaught

Check this out! I stopped by and looked at an ’89 SC today; one that I’ve had my eye on for a few weeks now. It’s red, no moon roof, grey fab int, been wrecked and horribly repaired on both the front and the pass. rear, and the paint job someone put on it was atrocious. It’s got an AOD that has “just been rebuilt” and various other body and interior flaws. The minute this guy started the engine it began to smoke from oil dripping down onto the pass side exhaust manifold. As I was looking through this car I found a Head Gasket set, which obviously had not been installed. On a good note, the interior (aside from the rear view mirror laying in the rear floorboard and the trash that was crammed everywhere) looked to be in rather good shape. Here’s the kicker though, it had about 92K on it and this guy wanted $5K for the car. I basically told him he was smoking crack as I already have a white ’89 SC that I am slowly but surely restoring and modding/upgrading. Oh yeah, and when I bought mine almost four years ago now, it had 74K on it and I paid $900 for it from a guy that was in a nursing home and was scared to drive it (LOL). Anyway, just thought y’all would want to hear about it. :cool:

dents

:cool: the body has some dents and waves in it. I'm actually looking for another SC..you know, to do my part in helping to preserve the SC, but after seeing this one and hearing what he wanted for it there was NO WAY I was dropping $5K in it, just to spend another $5K for it to be just decent...love the SC, and I'm still looking.
Scott Long said:
$1600 would be the most I'd give him if it needs that much work. Is the body straight or still dented up?
:cool:

Shop around. You could get a 60k mile bird for that price that would be well maintained. The sad thing for us owners is there is no resale value on these cars. But if you are in the market to purchase one you are at an advantage. It's a buyers market.

Do you prefer the 1st generation SC or the 2nd gen? I prefer the 1st gen's myself as the look more muscular and the late models look all round and cute.

Thanks. Just keeping my eyes open for them for now, not really "shopping." I already have an 89 that is my pride and joy and if she ever got wind of another "Bird" in the henhouse she'd have me tarred and feathered. So, of course, without betraying my pride and joy, I would have to be parial to the 1st gens, even though I'm all about the '94-'95 blowers..who's not? :cool:

Back