Weird things are happening...

CMac89

Two days ago I was driving around in my car and it was doing okay just driving it around. I let it sit a day without driving it and then I went out today, started it and it sounded like it was running on 4 cylinders. It wont rev past 2500rpm on free rev and if you put it to the floor it tries to die.

So far i've swapped DIS modules, plugs, and crank sensor.

Any idea's?

I went back outside, started it and shut it off and repeated this process about 4 times and it started running right again.

Whats the deal? Anyone have a clue?

CMac89 said:
I went back outside, started it and shut it off and repeated this process about 4 times and it started running right again.

Whats the deal? Anyone have a clue?

I would have to say cam sensor.....

have you tried pulling the plugs, one at a time, from the coil pack while the car is running? the coil pack dies 2 plugs at a time. and if you crank and cam sensors are good, along with the DIS, I would look at that last piece. Just a thought.

Stephen

PS - Make sure you have some good rubber gloves on. The spark emitted from this car is not pleasurable.

I just went out and pushed the schrader valve in and barely any fuel at all came out after i turned the key on.

The fuel pump and filter brand new and have about 100 miles on them so i'm thinking FPR?

The pump is a 255 HP. Bought the kit from MN12.

If you just turn the key and let it sit it will only squirt a bit out. It sounds to me like a good place to start but once again I wonder if it is a MAF Sensor.

Unplug the MAF, key the car up twice (dont start it though), shut it off and then key it up again. This will cause the CE light to come on but will send the processor into FMEM. If it runs right, you MOST LIKELY need a MAF sensor.

I also wonder if you have plugged exhaust...

Chris

Chris Walker said:
If you just turn the key and let it sit it will only squirt a bit out. It sounds to me like a good place to start but once again I wonder if it is a MAF Sensor.

Unplug the MAF, key the car up twice (dont start it though), shut it off and then key it up again. This will cause the CE light to come on but will send the processor into FMEM. If it runs right, you MOST LIKELY need a MAF sensor.

I also wonder if you have plugged exhaust...

Chris
I just bought an 80mm C&L with 42# injectors and put it on last monday.

CMac89 said:
I just went out and pushed the schrader valve in and barely any fuel at all came out after i turned the key on.

The fuel pump and filter brand new and have about 100 miles on them so i'm thinking FPR?

The pump is a 255 HP. Bought the kit from MN12.

I would suggest getting a fuel pressure test gauge. They sell them at most auto parts stores for around $30. Being that your problem is intermittent, I would suspect something with the fuel pump wiring or the fuel pump relay.

The regulator is mechanical, once it breaks or start leaking it will stay that way. So I really don't think that's the problem.

David

Awwww geez....You negelected to tell me that. Well...Like the man said, check your fuel pressure. Should be arround 32 till you mash it, then it should be around 42. If thats okay, I think you got a cat coming apart.

Chris

Here's another suggestion. It's a long shot, but it's simple. I had a problem that sounded not exactly like yours, but still similiar. I changed the fuel filter and all was well. Give that a shot before you get TOO deep further into it. Good luck. Let us know if that fixed it or not.

Alan

Thanks for the replies. :)

Seems I neglected to tell you I dont have any cats either, sorry.

When I put the fuel pump in everything was okay, so if there was a wiring problem it would have done it all this time. The fuel pump and fuel filter has about 100 miles on them, so thats not the problem.

Everything started to act up like this whenever I put the brand new 42# injectors in last monday (lucas). Whenever I put the injectors in I unplugged it from the fuel pump cut off switch and started it to relieve pressure. I know, all I had to do was push the schrader valve in. :rolleyes:

Where is the fuel pump relay on our cars at? I'll have to check that out.

CMac89 said:
Thanks for the replies. :)

Seems I neglected to tell you I dont have any cats either, sorry.

When I put the fuel pump in everything was okay, so if there was a wiring problem it would have done it all this time. The fuel pump and fuel filter has about 100 miles on them, so thats not the problem.

Everything started to act up like this whenever I put the brand new 42# injectors in last monday (lucas). Whenever I put the injectors in I unplugged it from the fuel pump cut off switch and started it to relieve pressure. I know, all I had to do was push the schrader valve in. :rolleyes:

Where is the fuel pump relay on our cars at? I'll have to check that out.

Most likely you have a tuning issue. Hopefully I'll see you at the Dayton meet and we can sort it out then. BTW, you should see about 50psi fuel pressure under boost. It would be a good idea to verify that. I've seen more than one fuel pump install gone bad....

XR7 Dave said:
Most likely you have a tuning issue. Hopefully I'll see you at the Dayton meet and we can sort it out then. BTW, you should see about 50psi fuel pressure under boost. It would be a good idea to verify that. I've seen more than one fuel pump install gone bad....
Now its gotten to the point where it wont idle or let you rev or drive it past 2500rpm without wanting to die.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but using common sense, if 35-40psi of fuel is supposed to be in the fuel rail before startup then when you push the schrader valve in the fuel would spray out, therefore it having noticeble pressure as opposed to nothing coming out of my schrader valve whenever I push it in.

CMac89 said:
Now its gotten to the point where it wont idle or let you rev or drive it past 2500rpm without wanting to die.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but using common sense, if 35-40psi of fuel is supposed to be in the fuel rail before startup then when you push the schrader valve in the fuel would spray out, therefore it having noticeble pressure as opposed to nothing coming out of my schrader valve whenever I push it in.

Correct...and that is why I suggested checking the fuel pressure. The relay is located in the trunk (drivers side).

David

David Neibert said:
Correct...and that is why I suggested checking the fuel pressure. The relay is located in the trunk (drivers side).

David
I just bought a fuel pressure guage from summit, so it should be here tomorrow. I know the fuel pressure is low because barely anything comes out of the schrader valve when I push it in.

Before I changed the injectors last monday I pushed the schrader valve in and fuel squirted out like crazy. After I put the 42's in I didnt push the shrader valve in to check it, but it ran fine. Now it acts like its only feeding fuel to 4 cylinders and it wont idle.

This is an "all of a sudden" deal, where one day it was driving fine and then the next day it wont idle and puts.

CMac89 said:
I just bought a fuel pressure guage from summit, so it should be here tomorrow. I know the fuel pressure is low because barely anything comes out of the schrader valve when I push it in.

Before I changed the injectors last monday I pushed the schrader valve in and fuel squirted out like crazy. After I put the 42's in I didnt push the shrader valve in to check it, but it ran fine. Now it acts like its only feeding fuel to 4 cylinders and it wont idle.

This is an "all of a sudden" deal, where one day it was driving fine and then the next day it wont idle and puts.

While your waiting for the gauge to arrive, you might want to try pulling the vacuum hose off the regulator and then have someone turn the key on to see if fuel is leaking out the hose connection. If that was happening the fuel would be going directly into the intake manifold and flooding the motor.

David

Well, I just bought an FPR from Advanced Auto Parts for $20 and it was in stock fortunately.

I got a gauge and put it on the schrader valve before I put the new FPR on and it said 14psi. Put the new one on and it said 42psi before startup.

Needless to say it fixed the problem, but it still needs a tune pretty bad. It spits and pops until about 3500rpm and once it clears up it pulls pretty damn hard.

I can finally tell that porting my stock valve heads myself and a little cam actually did something. I need to port the rest of my blower though.

So, the problem is fixed.......for now. :rolleyes:

CMac89 said:
Well, I just bought an FPR from Advanced Auto Parts for $20 and it was in stock fortunately.

I got a gauge and put it on the schrader valve before I put the new FPR on and it said 14psi. Put the new one on and it said 42psi before startup.

Needless to say it fixed the problem, but it still needs a tune pretty bad. It spits and pops until about 3500rpm and once it clears up it pulls pretty damn hard.

I can finally tell that porting my stock valve heads myself and a little cam actually did something. I need to port the rest of my blower though.

So, the problem is fixed.......for now. :rolleyes:

Wow...that was a pretty quick repair job. I guess having changed the injectors last week you still had all the bolt sizes memorized.

BTW, It shouldn't be spitting and popping (even with a new MAF)...sounds like something is still screwed up. If you can make it Dayton next weekend, I'm sure we can help you figure it out.

David

David Neibert said:
Wow...that was a pretty quick repair job. I guess having changed the injectors last week you still had all the bolt sizes memorized.

BTW, It shouldn't be spitting and popping (even with a new MAF)...sounds like something is still screwed up. If you can make it Dayton next weekend, I'm sure we can help you figure it out.

David
Yeah, I work on this car so much I got it down like art. It took me 40 minutes to change the regulator out and put the car all back together.

The other day it took me 20 minutes to change the spark plugs and I was taking my time. :)

I'll definitely be down at the Dayton meet. I'll have to get my car all cleaned up so I don't get laughed at too hard. Its seen better days, but all I care about is the performance part.

I'm going to buy a computer chip from Double D to see if it fixes anything before I go to the meet.

My dad wants to bring our superstocker, but I dont think its welcome. :)

Back