Is this a bad caliper?

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
On my 35th if I put the brakes on normal like, no problem except for the perpetually warped rotor. But, if I stab the pedal real quickly and hard as in panic stop, it's like there are practically no front brakes and the car pulls hard right. Sometimes when I test it, it's Ok, sometimes it's not. Oh yeh, the pedal feels harder than normal when it does this. No dash lights flash and the accumulator is about a year old. It did this a couple of years ago but went away with new pads and machined rotors. I'm thinking the left caliper is sticking and needs to be replaced.

Mike, I did my brakes when I got my car. New rotors and pads. Mine had a shaking that went away after I did the swap. Then it gradually came back. The inside of the drivers side rotor was grooved really bad. I think my caliper is sticking like yours is. I had an extra rotor I put on just to check and see if the shaking would go away and it did for the most part. Just a slight bit, probably do to the old pads and maybe the rotr I put on wasn't true either.

I plan on doing mine again and getting new calipers. I think you might be right and you should get new ones too. Or they can be rebuilt for a few dollars. There are pics of my rotors on the link, on page two.

www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59565

Hmm, that's an idea. I'll pull them and grease them a bit tomorrow after work and see if that helps. That may be why they were Ok after I did the brakes last time and now they've dried out again.

are the anti lock lights working maybe burned out do they come on when key is turned on . sounds like a bad accumulater but light is not comming on.

Yes, the lights are fine when I turn the key. I'm a bit concerned that there could be a problem in the ABS unit itself.

Back