Took the car out to the track last week

97GTP

Well, the local track around here finally opened up for there thursday test and tunes last weeke thursday so I made my way there. I've been waiting to get the car out ever since all the new mods went in. Well, first thing I learned, its pretty dam hard to launch a car with street tires and a stock differential with a high stall torque converter. Firts run I launched at 3000 rpm, learned that wasn't the best thing to do so I lowered my launch rpm. 60 foots got a little better but not the greatest. Last run of the night I hit my personal best from last year 13.62, but with a mph of 104 which is pretty good. That mph would get me a 12.9x pass on slicks and a limited slip differential. But there's always next time out and see what I can do. I figure if I get my 60's where they should be, I'll easily net 1 13.5x, 13.4x run with the car. Still need to get my new intake and all the other things to do.

Nice job. So how come no one has really made big on the AR swap for the GTP? You'd think the GTP would benefit even more from the better blower? Just curious.

I'd say probably the best blower for GTP's to swap to now is the 5th Gen M90 blower of the 2004 and plus GTP's. They have been proven to be more effecient than a 3rd Gen ported and polished to the max. Very nice blowers they are but when you get your hands on one, they run about $1000 or more for the setup since you need the lower intake manifold too. I'd love to get one but thats $1000 I'd have to scrape up out of nowhere. My friend had on one his '99 Monte Carlo Z34 that we did a supercharged 3.8 swap into. Very nice it is.

Just wondered because the twin screw has shown almost a 100hp increase over the ported Eatons that we use.

The autotrotor would kick *** on a GTP. If you could adapt it to the new style manifold even better, but I'm sure it'd be a great improvement on the older GTP's as well. Might just as expensive as upgrading to the late model stuff and you'd get much more power from it.

Twin screw superchargers are pretty kick ***. Some GTP guys are dying to put Whipple Chargers on thier cars. Someone in the gp realm has started making adapters for them so they can be run on our cars. Another popular us the MP112, somewhat similar to the M112, which is run on the lightning and the Cobra SVT. Most guys with Grand Prix GT's go to turbo's or csc superchargers which have proven to be pretty fast for those gt's.

What are good used GTP style M90s selling for ? I'm interested in a GTP rotor pack from a 1999 or newer. I'm told with relocation of a dowel pin it's a direct swap for the gearset & rotors in an SC blower.

David

You can actually find used M90's from the GTP's for pretty cheap, well, the third Gen M90's, fifth gen's are quite pricey. Our used parts guy, his name is Ed Morad, he usually always has parts for sell. If you want to look around, go the www.clubgp.com and look under the parts for sell forum, I am sure you could find some for a pretty good deal. Once I can find Ed's email address, I can get that to you if you would want to talk to him about one.

Back