Fusibe Link for Rad Fan Motor

Burns Z

Now that it is getting warm out , I am trying to fix my Raditor fan. First I had bad luck getting the old motor out of the fan, so I bought a used fan, shroud and motor from someone here on the board.. When my fan motor burnt out , it took with it the fusible link wire up near the fuse bank. I hve never messed with fusible link wire so I wasn't sure really what I needed. The guy at Advanced Auto said really it is just regular wire , but with copper in the middle. Well I found a roll of 24 ft of copper primary wire . Is this the right stuff?

Thanks , Tom

Fusible link is not just copper primary wire. Most stores sell fusible link in small sections. You also need the proper gauge of fusible link.

The fusible link for the fan (16 gauge) is soldered to the end of the big (4-6 gauge) power wire coming from the alternator. To make matters worse, there are two other fusible links, a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge link soldered in at the same place! Then the wires are covered with a very heavy heat shrink tubing that welds itself to the wires. The 12 gauge link feeds the starter relay and battery. the 20 gauge goes back down the harness to the alternator. Notice that the very large gauge wire (black, orange stripe) from the alternator to the fusible links is not fused between those two points!!!

Fusible link wiring

Hey George, I saved a post of yours 2 years ago when my fan motor messed up. I think yours messed up about 5 years ago right? I knew the counter guy wasn't making sense. He went to look it up on the computer and I told him I know it is 16 gauge wire if that helps him. He said he can't sell me a foot , but if I go to Home Depo they have it and can sell it be feet. He said to just make sure it's copper. Said that the cooper burns through and breaks the link... I'll try another store later today...... Any other store I can go to for this if I have more problems.... radio shack wounld't be able to help me on this one would they? Doubt it.... Thanks Man,
Tom

Thanks for the link, I just noticed that when I re-read your post

Last edited:
I've purchased the small sections at my local NAPA, but any auto store should have it and should know the difference between regular wire and fusiblle link wire!

I do have an old post in the Member's section with a picture of my bad harness. Sometimes the link will burn the other wires in teh early harness. I just made a whole new harness the last time I had problems.

I'll try and find that picture you are talking about. I have not looked at mine in awhile, but I do remember that some of the insulation was burnt up on some of the other wires. I'll replace them also....

Yes I thought they should know the difference also.. I'm going to take back what I was sold and ask someone else if they know what I am talking about...

Thanks Again for you advice !!!

Tom

gldiii said:
You'll only be able to see that section, if you are a dues paying member.

Think I may sign up then.. Let me look around and figure out where to do it then.. This site has helped me in so many ways before I'm due to pay something to support it..

Ok, I'm a member now.... :D

I wish I would have signed up sooner

Last edited:
I found about 4 inches of fusible link wire from Napa. My wire burnt up from a connecter to the thicker wire. Any tips on getting it hooked back up correctly to that connector... I hope that I am looking at the correct wire for the fans fusible link....

Thanks Everyone

Back