Murphy's Law! Away from home...and code 122 for starters...

007_SuperCoupe

I forgot my manual at home and am currently in North Little Rock...The SC is broke and the first indication is a code 122...Can someone clarify for me. Thanks!

I'm here for another week and a 1/2, so I have time to fix it. I installed a new TB over the weekend, then made the trip down here...the IAC went out, and I replaced it, but now it doesn't idle at all...The only code was the 122 above. So, I'm going to get that fixed... If that doesn't work, then it's going to a mechanic...

Anybody know any good mechanics in Little Rock area? Just in case...

007_SuperCoupe said:
Anybody know any good mechanics in Little Rock area? Just in case...
ROFLMAO, ya ummm Supercoupe, Little Rock HA! good luck! Seriously though, call me if you cant get it straightened out, I have someone in Cabot that may be able to help.

Paul

Update:

Thanks, Paul, I'll do that if I need to.

I was able to pull a couple more codes this evening. They are 121 and 124. I'm really stumped as to why this all of a sudden hit. As soon as I get an indication of what these codes are, I'll be much more able to tackle the problem. Thanks for the help.

121 - Closed throttle voltage higher or lower than expected
124 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor voltage higher than expected

I'm tellin ya... just unplug the silly thing and see how it goes. :rolleyes:

I'm going to do that now then... I just want to get it driveable for now. But a TPS shouldn't be too bad, and it's not that hard to replace. I should be able to get that done pretty quickly and easily. Thanks for the code info!

Went out and unplugged the TPS...When I could get it to idle, it did it at about 2200 rpm. That explains why the last leg of my journey here (frm Joplin, MO all the way to my hotel) was so easy to cruise at about 82 mph or so. That was my cruise... (yeah, my cruise is out too).

I'm heading out to get a TPS here pretty quick so hopefully I can get it all fixed. I just hope that is the only issue! But right now, that is what it is looking like. Thanks for the help to this point. I'll update further later...

The codes are the following..

Code 121---Throttle positionsensor out of range self test

code 124 Throttle position sensor voltage higher than expected..

More than likely, TPS IS BAD!!!

Hope this helps!!!!

Don

007_SuperCoupe said:
Went out and unplugged the TPS...When I could get it to idle, it did it at about 2200 rpm. That explains why the last leg of my journey here (frm Joplin, MO all the way to my hotel) was so easy to cruise at about 82 mph or so. That was my cruise... (yeah, my cruise is out too).

I'm heading out to get a TPS here pretty quick so hopefully I can get it all fixed. I just hope that is the only issue! But right now, that is what it is looking like. Thanks for the help to this point. I'll update further later...
Make sure you aren't using an aftermarket IAC that has a cable tie across the body holding a wire lead. They won't work on the SC because they are supposed to be mounted 180 out. The wrong one will cause the idle to race. :cool:

TbirdSCFan said:
Make sure you aren't using an aftermarket IAC that has a cable tie across the body holding a wire lead. They won't work on the SC because they are supposed to be mounted 180 out. The wrong one will cause the idle to race. :cool:

Got that figured out today. It was what was actually killing my idle.

Got it all fixed though. Apparently the TPS can also cause a high idle when it goes out, very much like the IAC. I got it back out on the road tonight again. It runs well...now about that crappy radiator...

Thanks for all the info. It was very helpful.

Back