New AOD slipping

XR7Kurt

My rebuilt trans is doing the same thing it did before it burnt itself up. I have an 89' XR7 and I need to drive it to Florida this weekend, I'm moving, so I need to get this fixed NOW! With the gear selector in Overdrive at a stop it will engage in 1st but won't shift until 5,000 rpm, then the same shift point from 2nd, I don't know about the shift into overdrive because I didn't have a place to rev out 3rd. Once the car has some speed after intitial take off if I let off it will slip like crazy when I try to accelerate again. Can this be the Throttle valve cable not moving properly? I don't know much about how that works, but it is real hard to move. Any help will be greatly appreciated, I have to get this thing on the road without burning up my trans again. Thanks

well, dont drive it like that. im sure the tranny gurus will be in here to help you out, but it sounds like a maladjusted tv cable to me. tccoa has anarticle on how to do it thats pretty ez.

al

It was my fault, when I hooked the lever from the tv cable back onto the actuator on the trans the lever was still on the tv cable. This just happened to be how I removed it when I took the trans out. Anyhow the flat sides didn't line up and I turned the actuator, with a pair of pliers, to line up the flat sides with the lever and apparently jammed it up so it wasn't moving. I didn't turn it much, but just the wrong way I guess. Also I wasn't familiar with how easily the actuator should move. But all seems to be well now and during the course of the trans/ motor mount work I discovered that one of my plug wires was completely off. This solved the miss that the car had had since I bought it. I put only 1,000 miles on the car before it went down so really today is the first day I've been able to drive it anywhere near the way it should be. I love it. Hopefully it will make it to Florida from Ohio and then I can work on more of the bugs.

Back