Time of the season for head gasket blowing

midgetchaser

Ive been reading the forum and there seems like a lot of HG's being blown lately. Count me in that group. So far i have the upper IC tube, SC top, throttle body, alternator, and IC, out but i cant figure out how to swing the power sering pump out of the way so i can get the lower IC tube out can anyone help? I think i got all the bolts out of it. Do I have to take the pulley off?

I didn't need to pull the pully off the power steering pump. I managed with some patience to get the 1 bolt loose that goes in just below the power steering pump and its horizontal that holds the lower IC on. Then there's another bolt for the lower IC that is below and behind the PS pump and you have to get to it from the bottom. It attaches to a bracket that goes across to the block.....

Once you get that one out, then undo the nuts to the bracket that goes from the steering pump to the water pump (the one end goes behind the pully) then remove the 3 bolts that hold the accessory bracket on and move the entire bracket forward. I did have to remove the alternator to do this.

BTW, the one bracket that had that PITA bolt on it for the lower IC can then be taken out and put in a convient PITA location so you can't find it ;).

Frit

I just took the bracket off today with the pulley still on it i just forgot a bolt. it was kinda behind the pulley but about 4 or 5 inches back and it went into the block. I dont understand y u are "supposed to" remove it i c no point unless u want to replace the pump or something. It was a lot easier than i thought i just forgot a bolt.

I never remove the PS anymore, since I realized that the whole bracket can be removed!

Alot quicker!!!

Back