Con Rods

ARV90SC

Well engine report is back, and i need a set of new rods. im getting in on that group buy hopefully for the dimond pistons but since im going to be running nos, ive been told to upgrade my rods as well. my question who makes an aftermarket rod for a 90 SC? (keeping in mind im sticking with stock comp. ratio pistons(forged) and i want to keep the stock length rods as well just stronger :confused:

94/95 rods are designed for use with a full floating pin. They also are minus an oiling hole apparently for shooting oil at the cylinder wall and/or bottom of piston. The full floating pin is good, the lack of hole apparently doesn't matter and works out better for the bearing.

If you're going with the Diamond GP, I'm thinking they are going to make them so they will work with the 351W aftermarket rods. These will fit our crank, but their a little long to fit with stock pistons. So hopefully the Diamond piston will take that into account. That would make a strong aftermarket rod an easy option.

If you really are going to run NO2 and want to get by with stock rods, make sure they are worked over well. Shot Peened and beams polished will give you the best chances, but in general, I don't know that anyone really trusts them for anything over 400 rwhp.

rods

hmmm, well my goal is 400 haha but i dun think im going to reach it, so if i went with the 94 rods, i gatta find a full floating piston, i would use the 94 pistons but the comp. ratio i hear was higher than the 90, but seeing guys do up a 94 engine with these internals with a higher comp. ratio, i mite try it out. i mite have to cut down on the boost alil

but are the lengths the same from all years of the SC?

The rods and pistons from all years will fit in all years. The compression ratio was changed via the dish in the piston I believe.

I'm targeting around 350-380rwhp and going with 1994/1995 con rods, shot peened and beams polished. Then I'll be using Sealed Power stock replacement hyper pistons that they sell the same piston for all years. I called their tech line and discussed the difference in the pins from 1989-1993. They said you can use the stock pins with the pistons, or use the full floating pins and lock rings that they supply with the pistons.

I won't be using NO2. I do feel that if I was planning on using NO2, I would be going for forged pistons with aftermarket rods. But then I'd also be building for over 400rwhp which would mean some other modifications to my rebuild plan as well.

Mike8675309 said:
The rods and pistons from all years will fit in all years. The compression ratio was changed via the dish in the piston I believe.

I'm targeting around 350-380rwhp and going with 1994/1995 con rods, shot peened and beams polished. Then I'll be using Sealed Power stock replacement hyper pistons that they sell the same piston for all years. I called their tech line and discussed the difference in the pins from 1989-1993. They said you can use the stock pins with the pistons, or use the full floating pins and lock rings that they supply with the pistons.

I won't be using NO2. I do feel that if I was planning on using NO2, I would be going for forged pistons with aftermarket rods. But then I'd also be building for over 400rwhp which would mean some other modifications to my rebuild plan as well.

hmmm, i would go with the aftermarket rods but just more mulla which i dont have, i set out a budget for pistons.
who else makes forged pistons for our cars? i heard coy miller, and tony morano did wondering if anyone had links or specs on these?

Anyone can "make" forged pistons for our cars, as they are all custom pistons. Search on forged pistons and I think you'll find various people that have had some made.

There is the rumblings of a group purchase on Diamond brand pistons for our cars in the group purchase area. Not sure how close to being a done deal it is though.

Back