wants to die when shifted to reverse

okcsprcpe

When my 94 is shifted to Rev after good and warm the RPM drops so low it almost dies, it recovers and then fine. Also every now and then after a hard romp the check eng light illuminates for 2-3 sec, runs rough during that time then clears itself and is fine.

Last edited:
is it just reverse? or all gears? like when in drive and stopped at a light holding the brake down? How old are the plugs? wires?fuel filter? CAM SENSOR? I had an idle problem liek that whe in gear, and changed my cam semsor and it helped alot!! When is the last time your MAF was cleaned?

Tyler

Engine Mounts

You need new engine mounts. My 94 I had did this very same problem. Apparently those mount are liquid filled?? but they wear out so when you put it in reverse the thing basically shorts out from the metal from the endine side of the mount hitting the frame. I know it sounds bogus, but after we put new mounts in mine, ran great. At first Ford said it was a sensor elswhere. They changed it and it didn't fix anything. SO after I paid 200 for getting that other work doen they said it was engine mounts and would do the labor for $150 to put in new mounts. I didn't want to pay high for price, so I got some elswhere and they put them in for me. Only after the got the car apart did they realize they had to drop the front end. Lucky for me I had the $150 quote in writing. ANYWAYS, I'd bet that is your problem.

Last edited:
Yeah, like you your guy's cars my 94 did the same thing. And you're right, it does sound like a stupid reason for the car to run strange, but it really does happen. Get the mounts fixed and it will run great.

T@Sound-Xtreme said:
is it just reverse? or all gears? like when in drive and stopped at a light holding the brake down? How old are the plugs? wires?fuel filter? CAM SENSOR? I had an idle problem liek that whe in gear, and changed my cam semsor and it helped alot!! When is the last time your MAF was cleaned?

Tyler
Plugs and wires are less then 1k mi. cam sensor never changed 97k mi. fuel filter new. I am going to clean my MAF first, cleaned it about 2k mi ago.

osucarguy said:
You need new engine mounts. My 94 I had did this very same problem. Apparently those mount are liquid filled?? but they wear out so when you put it in reverse the thing basically shorts out from the metal from the endine side of the mount hitting the frame. I know it sounds bogus, but after we put new mounts in mine, ran great. At first Ford said it was a sensor elswhere. They changed it and it didn't fix anything. SO after I paid 200 for getting that other work doen they said it was engine mounts and would do the labor for $150 to put in new mounts. I didn't want to pay high for price, so I got some elswhere and they put them in for me. Only after the got the car apart did they realize they had to drop the front end. Lucky for me I had the $150 quote in writing. ANYWAYS, I'd bet that is your problem.

Yes I can see how this would cause a problem and I did have mount problems and had them changed once, I will check them again. The car has been parked in the garauge for a a couple years and has only been driven about 2k miles in the past 6 years. I just started driving it again on a regular basis. THERE ARE A LOT OF BUGS IT right now.
THANKs for the help so- far. will work on it today, plan on getting a scanner today also and running codes.
Also trying to figure out why my power steering pressure will not reduce at higher speeds.
Stacy

Back