Help w/ front upper contorl arms...

MarineMustanger

I am replacing the front upper control arms, but I can't separate the ball joint from the spindle. I've tried knocking the ball joint stud with a hammer, but can only get it up flush with the spindle. I've tried using a pry bar to separate the "pinches" on the spindle, but that doesn't seem to work.

I was going to see if the parts store had a ball joint separator that was big enough to work.

Any ideas???? Thanks.

soak it in some PB blaster...wait a few minutes....get ur BFH and go to town. good luck. a ball joing separator could help...but i always just beat ball joints with a hammer...get very angry at it and call it names.

kyle

MarineMustanger said:
I am replacing the front upper control arms, but I can't separate the ball joint from the spindle. I've tried knocking the ball joint stud with a hammer, but can only get it up flush with the spindle. I've tried using a pry bar to separate the "pinches" on the spindle, but that doesn't seem to work.

I was going to see if the parts store had a ball joint separator that was big enough to work.

Any ideas???? Thanks.

Buy or rent (or loan) a pitman arm puller. You can usually get a cheap one that will work just fine. See attached pic of the tool I'm referring to. It works just fine to separate the joint.

Good Luck!

David
95 SC
5-speed

Attachments

• pitman arm puller.jpg
    pitman arm puller.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 53
The puller works best. It's unlikely you can create enough leverage to use a pry bar.

Such joints often will come apart just from beating on them. Soak the top in pb blaster to help loosen any deposits. Then with a 3lb mallet (a carpenter's hammer doesn't have enough mass) whack the spindle around the area that the ball joint is fit into. Don't smash the threads on the ball joint unless you are intending to replace it.

The impact sets up vibrations in the steel that help to migrate the upper joint out of position. You might try tying the joint up so that it's supporting the weight of the spindle, or use a block of wood to hold the upper control arm up. This tension helps the joint to migrate out while you're beating on it.

Haven't done the SC yet, but on my 98 Durango it took about 8 healthy whacks with the hammer and the control arm just dropped out. Both the upper and lower ones.

Back