abs woes

rzibilske77

abs woes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is an old thread, but some things just never change
by reading up on all these post i seem to have a idea on what i need to check, so at this point this is what i got.
ABs(antilock) light stays on all the time, red brake light comes on periodically when i brake & only then.
so I have read post to check the pump motor & relay first off, i did so by turning key on but not starting listening to the pumpmotor, it came on just like i read & then heard the click at the end..assuming that is the relay. So far does that mean that the pump motor & relay are good?
I also checked fuses, all looked good.
so I believe that my accumulator is bad..what u think..pretty much when i am driving brakes always seem to be just fine, never had any close calls, always have had a nice stiff pedal...its just that the pressure builds up fine but looses it just as quick.

thx for any input u guys can deliver, i know this is always a hot topic.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbirdSCFan
I don't really know an area mechanic that I trust since I work on the SC myself. As far as the prior unit, It sounds more like the pump motor went out. That is usually due to the relay, but since you've replaced it, It may be the motor itself.

Do this. Key-off.. in your driveway, pump the pedal about a dozen times. Then turn the key on to the run position, but don't start the car. Listen for the pump motor running. It'll be a faint whine which drops off in pitch followed by a faint clunk which is the relay.
Whats happening is the pump is pumping the accumulator full of brake fluid at a high pressure. When the lights on the dash go out, sufficient pressure is there to provide power brakes, but more pressure is required.

Time this with a second hand. Ford says that the 2 lights can be on for "up to a minute" and that this is within specs. After the initial chargeup, then (still without starting the car), push the brake pedal a number of times and listen for the pump motor to cycle again. You should never see the lights turn on again while you have the key on.
Let us know what you find out.

call these guys they are in Garland TX and get an acculm.
http://www.priorreman.com/
And be done with it
they run a little over $100-$110 ish
Hell they might even be close enough to drive too.
mention your a SCCOA member and you will get a little discount
You are a member arent you..

so u didn't give me much info..does that mean u also think my accum. has seen its last days?

Tin-Knocker105 said:
call these guys they are in Garland TX and get an acculm.
http://www.priorreman.com/
And be done with it
they run a little over $100-$110 ish
Hell they might even be close enough to drive too.
mention your a SCCOA member and you will get a little discount
You are a member arent you..

I just ordered an accumulator from Prior and I hope it fixes my ABS problem......

If it doesn't, then I am going to do the Crown Vic switch......

Back