Mark VIII seat wiring question

89psychobird

I am putting a set of 98 Mark VIII seats in my Thunderbird. I do not have the processor for the driver seat so I am wiring the switches using relays.

The switch for seat movement is a low current switch with small wiring (about 18 gage). My problem is due to the fact that there is a resistor in the switch, I do not have enough voltage to the relay for "pull in". The resistor measures 687 ohms on my meter. Could I just use a jumper around the resistor so I have 12 volts to the relay, or will this fry the switch? What about another resistor in parrallel to raise the voltage above 8 volts? The switch will not carry the load of the motors...so I am guessing that I could do this without a problem, I just need some advise from some of you electrical gurus.

Thanks,
Mike

Just remove or jumper around the resistor inside the switch and use a 12 volt relay with a coil resistance above 687 ohms.

Where you'll find such a relay that's inexpensive, I don't know. You may have to use two relays, the first to turn on the second.

Back