Blown Heater Hose and now a Rad Hose

JT93SC

I blew a Heater Hose last week, and it wasn't just a small leak. The hose blew in half. Today I noticed that my top Rad Hose Has a split in it. I did notice a small leak last week coming out of the Firewall, around where the Heater hose goes into the Heater Core. I am losing Antifreeze slowly. Any ideas? Would a leaking Heater Core cause High Pressure in the Cooling System enough to blow hoses? I don't see any bubbles in the Overflow bottle so I'm hoping it's not the HG's again. (Did them 2 years ago)

Thks - Jim

check to see if your thermostat is opening and closing, if it is then it sounds like it may be a heater core, they ahve a habit of messing up in sc birds.

al

How old are the hoses?
How old is the radiator cap?

Old hoses can pop under normal operating pressures. They get weak and split.

Radiator caps usually leak when they get old but if yours is not venting properly it can cause the hoses to burst from excess pressure when the engine gets hot.

Aaron

Hoses

The Heater Hose that went had been replaced about 2 years ago. I replaced the Thermostat and Rad Cap at the beginning of this year. The thing is the Temp gauge has been hanging pretty well around the O in NORM.
ONE THING TO ADD - I recently cut the #14 wire for the Fan to stay on at Low Speed all the time. I have now heard it might not be a good idea because the High Speed Fan won't come on anymore. Don't know if this is just a coincedance or not?

JT

#14 Wire Question

Your question about cutting the #14 wire should be a new thread. It'll bet more attention that way.

68COUGAR

Re: Hoses

Cutting #14 doesn't affect the high speed fan. Pin 17 controls the high speed. Check for other problems in your cooling system. Good luck.

Back