GTP Owners!!!

Turbong2001

Will the SC 3.8 out of a GTP fit In a 2004 Grand Am GT?? :eek: Or can you force it to fit? What about putting the heads upto the blower on the 3.4 block? :confused:

The 3.4(err.."3400" as GM brands it) is a 60* V6 engine while the 3800/3.8 is a 90* V6 engine so the heads will not work on the 3400 block at all. You could put the M90 on a 3400 engine, but it's going to require a fair amount of work(quite a few ways to add it). I'll name off a few ways that this can be accomplished.

1. Cut open the upper intake/plenum) and then get a small adapter to place the sc on top of it. This is going to require a tall hood that would probably look pretty silly on a Grand Am or either you could cut it and have the supercharger stick through the hood. :eek:

2. Remove the upper intake all together and fabricate an adapter that will attach the supercharger to the stock 3400 lower intake manifold. I'm not sure exactly what you would want to make an adapter out of, probably some aluminum or some thick phenolic material if it would be adequate enough.

3. Remote mount the supercharger. By "remote," I mean mount the supercharger on the drivers side of the engine bay(you may possibly have to move the battery and other pieces in this area to accomplish this) and drive it via a shaft that runs from the supercharger to inline w/ your accessory belt. There are already a few Grand Am guys w/ a setup like this, but I believe they are using the smaller M62 Eaton superchargers. The M90 shouldn't be physically that much bigger.

Found the GA I mentioned under option #3. http://www.cardomain.com/id/amraam4

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you're going to need some custom tuning for the car to run properly with the addition of the supercharger(I'm pretty sure you know that already...."DHP" that makes PCM's for late model cars can probably cover you there). Also, you're going to have to figure out what size supercharger pulley to use for a certain amount of boost as well as find a proper length belt for that. Another thing to consider is the fuel delivery system depending on what kind of power increase you're trying to achieve(I would consult GA owners on one of their message forums about what the stock system can handle safely).

Last edited:
mfewtrail said:
The 3.4(err.."3400" as GM brands it) is a 60* V6 engine while the 3800/3.8 is a 90* V6 engine so the heads will not work on the 3400 block at all. You could put the M90 on a 3400 engine, but it's going to require a fair amount of work(quite a few ways to add it). I'll name off a few ways that this can be accomplished.

1. Cut open the upper intake/plenum) and then get a small adapter to place the sc on top of it. This is going to require a tall hood that would probably look pretty silly on a Grand Am or either you could cut it and have the supercharger stick through the hood. :eek:

2. Remove the upper intake all together and fabricate an adapter that will attach the supercharger to the stock 3400 lower intake manifold. I'm not sure exactly what you would want to make an adapter out of, probably some aluminum or some thick phenolic material if it would be adequate enough.

3. Remote mount the supercharger. By "remote," I mean mount the supercharger on the drivers side of the engine bay(you may possibly have to move the battery and other pieces in this area to accomplish this) and drive it via a shaft that runs from the supercharger to inline w/ your accessory belt. There are already a few Grand Am guys w/ a setup like this, but I believe they are using the smaller M62 Eaton superchargers. The M90 shouldn't be physically that much bigger.

Found the GA I mentioned under option #3. http://www.cardomain.com/id/amraam4

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you're going to need some custom tuning for the car to run properly with the addition of the supercharger(I'm pretty sure you know that already...."DHP" that makes PCM's for late model cars can probably cover you there). Also, you're going to have to figure out what size supercharger pulley to use for a certain amount of boost as well as find a proper length belt for that. Another thing to consider is the fuel delivery system depending on what kind of power increase you're trying to achieve(I would consult GA owners on one of their message forums about what the stock system can handle safely).

What he said. However, if Im not mistaken, if you want to go this route, you could find a wrecked l67 car and swap the entire 3800 with the tranny and all into your car. Then again, that might be a little to expensive as you can find a GTP or a 1997 Buick Regal GS ( same as 4-door GTP, weights the same, same power, exct. ) for around 4000. Heck, if you get lucky you could find an Oldsmobile LSS with the L67 supercharged in it from the factory and it will be just as quick as a GTP, but even more of a sleeper factor cause its an olds.

Of course, if your 3.4 is the DOHC (4 cams) version, the stock heads on it flow better than stage 3 intense-racing heads for the l67. The Twin-dual cam 3.4 screams for a turbo. Of course a piston and rod change would be nessacry...

Sorry for rambling, but Im just on here looking to buy a supercoupe but I've owned A Fiero with an l67 swap, A fiero with a 4.9 Northstar, a 97 buick with an l67, and a Caddy with the 4.6 northstar. I just really, really like GM I guess heh.
Well aperntly not, because I've sold most of thsoe cars to get me a soupecoupe project, I miss RWD.

bigjoe25 said:
Of course, if your 3.4 is the DOHC (4 cams) version, the stock heads on it flow better than stage 3 intense-racing heads for the l67. The Twin-dual cam 3.4 screams for a turbo. Of course a piston and rod change would be nessacry...

Sorry for rambling, but Im just on here looking to buy a supercoupe but I've owned A Fiero with an l67 swap, A fiero with a 4.9 Northstar, a 97 buick with an l67, and a Caddy with the 4.6 northstar. I just really, really like GM I guess heh.
Well aperntly not, because I've sold most of thsoe cars to get me a soupecoupe project, I miss RWD.

His 3.4 is a pushrod motor as the 3.4 DOHC was last used in 1997. ;) Also, you can run a moderate amount of boost on a stock internal 3.4 DOHC, as plenty of people have. The rods shouldn't be a problem even on motors with a good amount of power, it wouldn't hurt to lower the compression a bit on the motor though. I have a 1994 3.4 DOHC crate engine that I plan to turbocharge sometime down the road.

Back