Hamonic Balancer Install

pastera

Any tips on installing the harmonic balancer (BHJ) in an 89 Auto.

Also should I replace the seal? The old seal was not leaking.

Napa lists the seal as NOS18548 for $9.

Autozone has a Fel-Pro timing cover gasket set with the seal for $16 or a Timken seal for $4.

With the Timken seal, there is an option for installing from front(2692) or rear(2942).

On the Federal-Mogul site the seal is listed as a BCA/National 2942 (rear) or 2692 (front).

I'm assuming that the one I would want is the install from front. The part numbers seem to be the same from both companies so I am wondering who really makes the seal.

Thanks
Aaron

cross posted on tbscec

Don't follow the shop manual! It states to do a ton of things that you don't have to do. Basically drop the oil pan, but you don't have to all the way. Pull the timing cover and pulleys off. I would replace any seals that you can get to. You might want to entertain replacing the timing chain while you are in there. I would also replace the harmonic balancer key. Just take your time and it should go smoothly.

Pastera

If you want, shoot me an e-mail and I can send you the official installation instuctions from BHJ along with comments from Dr. Fred. We sent these instructions out with our group buy.

The BHJ balance is designed to be about a .001 interference fit and should be installed with a damper installation tool that actually screws in the the crank. A hammer should NEVER come near that expensive part.

My e-mail is:

gldiii@iname.com

Greg said:
Don't follow the shop manual! It states to do a ton of things that you don't have to do. Basically drop the oil pan, but you don't have to all the way. Pull the timing cover and pulleys off. I would replace any seals that you can get to. You might want to entertain replacing the timing chain while you are in there. I would also replace the harmonic balancer key. Just take your time and it should go smoothly.

No. You don't have to pull the oil pan nor the timing cover
nor any other pulleys nor timing chain.

As far as the install, I agree with George, hammering is risky
business. I went to a billion and one local stores looking for an
installer. No luck. I was also looking for a longer version of our
crank bolt. Its a non-very-common thread pitch so I found
nothing. Plan C involved welding my own install bolt :)

hdinstaller.jpg

Works like a charm now!

Carefull when you start the (stock) crank bolt. If you only have
a thread or two and the harmonic dampener isn't sliding easy
you can pull a couple threads off the crank. This will help cross
threading and make the install that much harder.

Gaston

PS-Actually hammering is bad not because you'll hurt the
dampener, its bad because you could mark up the main thrust
bearing.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone

I just called up BHJ and they are making a 'Custom' version of thier damper install tool for me (<$90).

So by tuesday I should have the tool.

If anyone needs to use it, I will loan it out if you pay the shipping both ways and a refundable deposit.

Aaron

Back