Removing front spindles...what releaves the spring tension?

metalman

I know if I jack the car up from the K-member then that will lower the LCA and loosen the spring tension. But, will that release ALL the spring tension? When I'm unbolting the spindle, what do I need to worry about?

Many thanks,

Metalman

BTW...I'm doing my 13" Cobra brake upgrade. That's why I'm replacing the spindels.

When the suspension is at it lowest point, the shock is fully extended and the spring is caught by the shock.. To remove the spindle, only thing you have to do is to unbolt the sway bar, brake caliper, upper and lower ball joints. The upper is easy.. 1 pinch bolt. The bottom will require a special tool or else you'll tear the grease seal up. :eek:

Thanks for the info. So, once the LCA hangs, there's no threat of POP!? Cool.

I have a ball joint seperator. Is that the special tool you're talking about?

Metalman.

metalman said:
Thanks for the info. So, once the LCA hangs, there's no threat of POP!? Cool.

Metalman.
no you dont have to worry the spring is like a strut you have to take it out use a spring clamp and take the top plate off to get the spring out
you can take the shock out and not woory about the sprimg poping

metalman said:
If its the big crows foot, no. You have to drive it between the spindle and the ball joint with a Big hammer. I don't know of a way to do that that w/o mangling the rubber cover. If the cover gets punctured, eventually the loss of grease will cause the lower ball joint to go bad. :(
If its the tool with a big screw, like they show in the Haynes manual, that should work much better. :)

Back