Who has adjusted the TV cable with the pressure gauge?

v8killr

I have finished putting the tranny in and hooked everything up.Now i'm trying to adjust the cable and i know that in neutral the pressure should be at 33psi and when it's in drive it will raise to 35.I bought this gauge at napa and the gauge reads to 300.When i start the car it reads 75.when i adjust the cable away from the tv cable bracket as you are supposed to do if it's high the reading stays at 75.Are you supposed to unhook the gauge everytime you adjust the cable?

I really need to know as this is the final step really to getting my car on the road since it has been down for the past 4 1/2 months.So anyone that has done or knows exactly how to do this please let me know.If have read all the posts on this but for some reason it's not (the pressure) going down.

Thanks,
Dave

Is there some sort of pressure release in the line for that gauge? I'm just wondering if it's not reading the pressure live and it's holding pressure for some reason.

The pressure at the output of the TV port should change with changes in the postion of the TV cable.

I know it's to much pressure and that's what i'm trying to figure out.
What would give it that much pressure?
I have tried adjusting the cable both ways.I know that you can raise it by moving it towards the bracket and lower it towards the front of the car.
I did finish the rebuild of the tranny that someone on here started.Basically all i did was install the TCI shift kit.I took my time over a couple of days and thought i did everything correctly but you never know maybe i did something wrong and that's the reason it's so high.

The car seems to have a rough idle and wants to die when i over do the adjustment.I know the gauge is working because when i adjusted the cable to raise the pressure the gauge went up to like 90 psi and bounced back and forth and would'nt stay running.If i need to take the valve body back out i can i just don't want to burn it up.
Any help here would help.
By the way allen i'm the one that just came up and met you to pick up that 11" converter from nashville.
Thanks All,
Dave

Are you sure you are hooked up to the right port on the side of the tranny?
I think there are two ports....

Just FYI, this is the link I used...
http://www.becontrols.com/tech/tvlinkage.htm

I was guided through the whole reconfiguration process by Gregg at BTEcontrols. I actually used the wide ratio kit from a 4r70w in the AOD.

I also used the "AOD Pressure Regulator Boost Valve Kit" which he highly recommended...

I used an elcheapo oil pressure guage from Autozone, as I was told that it would be OK in a pinch.

If I remember correctly, a tighter setting (TV rod towards the front of car) increased the pressure; and looser (TV rod towards the rear of car) was less pressure...

After a slightly higher initial reading with extremely hard shifts (with the shift kit on medium settings accross the board), I loosened the rod about 1/32 of an inch. It then seemed to shift a tad less harsh, and the readings were slightly reduced.

I had about 0-3 pounds at idle, and it got about 40-45 pounds on "normal" acceleration, but it maxed out at about 90-95 pounds, and the guy said those indications were probably OK, my understanding is that the main thing is that there is no slack in the cable and that the pressure increases with any application of the throttle.

Are you using the correct ford test guage, or a regular pressuer guage?

My tranny has been installed for about 9 months, and prolly 6-8K miles on it (long way to work and school), so I assume everything is OK. Still sifts firm, and never slipped OD when hot or anything...

I would say something is amiss in your tranny, or maybe you're hooked into the wrong port???

I wouldn't drive it at all, untill you figured out the problem.

The first stock rebuild of an AOD I did about 3-4 years ago in my other car, burned up ALL of the direct clutches, because one of the O-rings in the tailshaft got nicked. It burned up, and lost 3rd and 4th in just a few blocks!!!

I had to rebuild it all over again :(

Good luck!

Last edited:
There are 4 ports on these transmissions. The one you need will say "TV" right above it in the case.
Alan

Well i realized that i had the gauge in the wrong port.
I went by the book and it showed it in the port on the drivers side above the shifter cable.

So i adjusted the cable to 33 psi in neutral because that is what i have read that it needs to be.I took it down the street and it won't shift out of 1st.I tried to get on it a little bit to see if it would come out of first and no luck.
It's very frustrating concidering i did everything to TCI specs as far as the shift kit and i think it's the valve body that's giving me problems.

I knew i was in for trouble when it seemed like i had to give it alot of gas to go into reverse.It's like it's running 4qt's low on fluid but it's full.
i do have one question.If i buy a lentech valve body does it come complete with no drilling required and i can just bolt it up.I would really like to drive my car but i'm afraid to burn up this new tranny and start all over,i don't have that kind of money.
Thanks guys,
Dave

v8killr said:
So i adjusted the cable to 33 psi in neutral because that is what i have read that it needs to be.I took it down the street and it won't shift out of 1st.I tried to get on it a little bit to see if it would come out of first and no luck.
With the trans in neutral, engine off, detach the cable clamp from the throttle arm and then loosen clip out, then reattach with just the slack taken out and take it around the block. :) Let me know what happens.

Also, did you check the fluid level with the engine idling on level ground? Mine will show 1" higher on the dipstick with the engine off sitting in my driveway.

Last edited:
Alan... If your talking about that little square gasket i did install it.I also used a torque wrench to torque all the bolts on the vavle body starting in the middle and working my way out in a circular pattern.

TBIRDSCFAN...
I will try that tomorrow if we don't get any rain and see what happens.I did check the fluid while up on jack stands and while it was on the ground and it was reading full.Now i have a very slight leak in the corner of the pan but that is nothing that would cause it to do what it's doing.I'm just afraid to have the pressure so high that i burn it up that was the reason i waited a week to get this gauge so i had it set where it should be.I have read all the horror stories on here with people not setting these correctly and not making it around the block :eek: ..

Allen i forgot to says thanks for turning me onto that (LONG)Tranny cooler it looks really nice up front even though you can't see it....It's a big sumbitch though :D
Thanks Dave

Everybody loves that cooler. :) The filter will have a round molded seal and that little gasket. I have seen alot of problems where people were missing one or the other that cause a similar condition to what you are having.
Alan

If i buy a lentech valve body does it come complete with no drilling required and i can just bolt it up.

Yes it just bolts on. The only drilling required is a hole in the case to run the power wire for the OD delete solenoid. That can be done from under the car.

David

Ok so i take the car out after i take all the slack out of the TV cable and it's still did the same thing( wouldn't shift out of any gear).The car will go just only in the gear it starts in.I do believe it's starting out in first but hell you never know.
Reverse still seems like i have to give it way to much gas to get it rolling.I started thinking that it's the shifter lever is way off and the reason i say that is because when it's up on jack stands as it is now, and when i shift through the gears the red line that tells you what gear your in from inside the car it isn't actually on the gear it's saying it's in.Example:If your in neutral the line is way above the N on the console.

And another wierd thing.When i put the tranny back in and hooked everything up i had my wife fire up the car so i could put fluid in it as it was running i had her go through the gears and when she put it in reverse the tires moved forward not reverse.When she got down to drive1 it seemed like it was in neutral.

I took the pan back off tonite and looked at the filter to make sure of the gaskets, and they where there and only one set of them..lol
I'm starting to think that it's the shifter lever was put in wrong but hell how many ways can you put that on? I had my wife hold the shifter lever in park tonite and i loosened the nut on the braket and cable from underneath the car then made sure it was all the way over in park and tightened it up.Now i haven't put the pan back on so i don't know if that's the problem or not because the red line is above the letters on there so it still looks like it's off.The good thing is the fluid didn't smell burnt so i'm hoping that's a good thing and it was still very red.

Any input on this would help.I wish i lived closer to some of you guys i'd invite ya over fur sum beers and try to figure this out..lol.
I will figure it out one way or another i have time....That's about the only thing i do have!!
David.

Last edited:
Setting the Shift-lever...

I think I read somewhere that you should set the shift-lever on the tranny with the shifter in the overdrive position. (Bear in mind that I killed a lot of brain cells back in the 70's ;) , so i could be wrong about this....)

v8killr said:
Ok so i take the car out after i take all the slack out of the TV cable and it's still did the same thing( wouldn't shift out of any gear).The car will go just only in the gear it starts in.I do believe it's starting out in first but hell you never know.
Reverse still seems like i have to give it way to much gas to get it rolling.I started thinking that it's the shifter lever is way off and the reason i say that is because when it's up on jack stands as it is now, and when i shift through the gears the red line that tells you what gear your in from inside the car it isn't actually on the gear it's saying it's in.Example:If your in neutral the line is way above the N on the console.

And another wierd thing.When i put the tranny back in and hooked everything up i had my wife fire up the car so i could put fluid in it as it was running i had her go through the gears and when she put it in reverse the tires moved forward not reverse.When she got down to drive1 it seemed like it was in neutral.

I took the pan back off tonite and looked at the filter to make sure of the gaskets, and they where there and only one set of them..lol
I'm starting to think that it's the shifter lever was put in wrong but hell how many ways can you put that on? I had my wife hold the shifter lever in park tonite and i loosened the nut on the braket and cable from underneath the car then made sure it was all the way over in park and tightened it up.Now i haven't put the pan back on so i don't know if that's the problem or not because the red line is above the letters on there so it still looks like it's off.The good thing is the fluid didn't smell burnt so i'm hoping that's a good thing and it was still very red.

Any input on this would help.I wish i lived closer to some of you guys i'd invite ya over fur sum beers and try to figure this out..lol.
I will figure it out one way or another i have time....That's about the only thing i do have!!
David.
Wow.. jack the car up and unhook the shift cable. With your hand push the bottom lever completely backward as far as it will go. Then push forward and count the notches (or clicks).. there should be 5 more. 6 including the rear most notch. These are the detents for P-R-N-OD-D-1.
Don't hook the cable back up, but have you or your assistant move the shifter lever to each setting and see how it lines up with the lever on the transmission when its at the corresponding setting.. P with P, R with R, etc..

The cable can be adjusted by some small amount, but I can't see how it can be off by more than 1 notch. Maybe whats happening is its causing it to stop just on a cusp between actual detents in the tranny itself :confused:

Hi all.
Maybe this is your problem ?
When I installed my new Art Carr AOD, there was an Mustang shift arm in it.
This arm is of an other length.
The letters doesn't line up with the shifter, but I can feel the notches (or clicks), and the AOD is working OK.
Thanks Vidar.

LJGriggs said:
I think I read somewhere that you should set the shift-lever on the tranny with the shifter in the overdrive position. (Bear in mind that I killed a lot of brain cells back in the 70's ;) , so i could be wrong about this....)

Wrong adjust everything in neutral

Alan..
They do tell you (in the book) to adjust it in overdrive but when i did it in overdrive it was still off so i tried to adjust it in park because i knew where park was basically.
Evan though that appears to be off i started to think that it would at least shift out of first gear wouldn't it?It's not off that far.
I'm going to go out and mess with it a little tonite if the weather holds.I bought a drain plug kit for the pan that i'm going to install because i'm tired of messing with tranny fluid.

One thing i started to think about also is the detent assy in the tranny.
When i put the arm back on it didn't seem to fit flat on the transmission like it did when i pulled the old one out but there is only one way to put that on so i don't see how i could have messed that up either concidering it only has the one screw that holds it on.
I'll see what i come up with tonite.
Thanks for everyone's input.
David

I went out and took some pics of the linkage inside the tranny so you guys could see some of what i see.I hope they came out ok.

I took a couple of these picks as my wife was going down through the gears and a couple of shots of the lever inside the car so you could see where the red line on the console is.

Attachments

• trans 011.jpg
    trans 011.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 50
  • trans 012.jpg
    trans 012.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 48
  • trans 004.jpg
    trans 004.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 38
  • trans 008.jpg
    trans 008.jpg