My Car got a wild Hair...long but freaky

Dahoopd

Ok, I got a 93SC and its basically bone stock except for the shifter, the wires, plugs and thermostat. Anyway, none of this means squat to help it run. All of that was added at the time of the HG replacement. Well my car most of the time will hit about 10 or nudge past it on the boost gauge at most.

To start it off I had my 9 year old sun with me and he is a total gear head. He buys his own hot rod mags. Generally import Krap. I am sitting at a light with him and this older Acura Legend V6 with exhaust pulls up. He looks over with the cocky look. Ofcourse my son says "get him dad" (no I dont race with my son in the car) but this time my car got a wild hair and I lost my thoughts of him in the passenger seat.

Long story short, I dog him off the line and Im watching the rpm's and my son yells "Dad! look your boost is 20" Ok its a stock gauge and he really doesnt understand the gauge yet atleast at that moment. I look down and the boost is more than half way between 10 and 15. It was like 13.5 or 14. I was freaking. It pulled that into third where it dropped off.

So Im extatic and thinking my gauge is broke. So the next light I feather the clutch and dog it again. Again it pulled like 13.5 or 14 lbs of boost. What ever the case the slow cruze home had me in amazement and a long conversation with a nine year old car freak on steroids about boost levels and gauges.

Has anyone else had a freak day and wonder why it just does that. These cars are really Fickle woman. (No offense ladies)

Yup!

95V8Bird said:
So you did race the guy, did you win?

Well from the line I got him and then we got onto the interstate. He got beside me and got the jump on me. I tried to catch him from a car behind but couldnt. By that time my son yelled woohoo! were doin 110. Thats when I slapped myself and slowed down to the limit. It wasnt until we got off and the next light I tried it the second time and the boost was the same. Its still freaking me out my car ran like that and its been an hour since then.

If the boost suddenly started being higher, it's either the gauge, or you could have an obstruction on the exhaust side. Make sure your cats aren't glowing red or anything like that. An exhaust shop could also do a pressure test, should only take about 10 minutes and a few bucks. Worth checking out because if something was wrong it would be your headgaskets again before you know it...

Belts?

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
How are the belts?

They are old. They dont look to be in bad shape. But, I know that doesnt mean they aren't stretched. I did have a problem with one of the tensioners wobbleing a bit when you crack the throttle. But I replaced that.

Thanks Rob! That scares the crap out of me. I would hate to think of doing that job again so soon. I know I need to do the exhaust but, its so expensive and the time isnt good right now. I was half tempted to hack the entire exhaust off at the resonator for better flow and to just to get by. But the sound would be too damn embarrassing.

Back